Roon server not starting on Roon Core

Roon Core Machine

Roon ROCK

• Akasa Newton S7 Fanless 7th Gen NUC Chassis
  • Intel 7th Gen NUC Core i5-7260U, NUC7I5BNH (M.2 and 2.5in drives)
  • CORSAIR ValueSelect 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 SODIMM 2133MHz Memory
  • Samsung PM961 128GB Polaris NVMe M.2 SSD (2800/600)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet cabled in to home network/switch

Connected Audio Devices

Raspberry Pi

Library Size

Approx. 10,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Initially Roon could not connect to my NAS storage, even though I could connect from other sources. Then the Roon server software wouldn’t start. I have tried reinstalling the OS/multiple reboots. I can connect fine to the ROCK web page. Has been working for many years until today.

try reseating the SSD and ram - but my guess is perhaps a failing SSD if its been in there many years.

hope you have been doing backups

The following may be relevant…

I can still access/see the data in smb://ROCK/Data. My music is stored on a seperate NAS. I thought I had backups set up, but can only find older ones for some reason. Should I make a copy of any folders before going any further?

I doubt you can copy the database off and back again… you might just have to wait for support top get on this thread…maybe run roon up on your desktop to get some music going at least for the rest of the weekend

Thanks, but I don’t have Tidal.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have Naim speakers so can use uPNP for now. Quite a shock going back to the Naim interface!

1 Like

I bet…I always have a backup core in the wings just in case. also good to test restores every now and then…If you never test your backups you might just regret it.

1 Like

Hi @Stewart_Prichard, can you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service)? Thanks!

Hello Dylan

Here is a link to the RoonServer logs.

Stewart

Thanks, @Stewart_Prichard. I need to check with the team on this. In the meantime, do you have backups of your Roon database? If so, can you try this:

• Stop RoonServer from running in ROCK’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your ROCK’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Roon database folder
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

I thought I did but can only find really old backups. Is there a way to backup without Roon Server running? Can I just copy the files or is it not that simple?

Unfortunately without Roon running that’s not possible. I’ve updated the QA team to let them know and I’ll follow up once I have their feedback.

Hi, any luck with the engineering feedback?

Sorry for the delay, @Stewart_Prichard. I’ve requested an update from the QA team and will follow up ASAP. In the meantime, using the instructions from above to start with a new database might get you up and running until we get a response from them. Just don’t delete the RoonServer_Old folder. Thanks!