Roon Server on multiple NICs?

I’ve seen some similar threads, but to my knowledge not this exact question.

I have a 1U rack mount server running Ubuntu 18.04LTS (Bionic) at home. I run Roon Server on it and everything works fine.

However…all my endpoints need to be on my main USER VLAN (192.168.10.0/24) because the machine is on that VLAN. That’s fine for computers, tablets, and phones, but I’d just as soon have my Oppo and such on my IOT VLAN (192.168.20.0/24), along with my thermostats, light switches, and whatnot.

The machine has two physical NICs. Only one is currently in use. If I bring up the other NIC on the IOT VLAN, will Roon Server listen on both interfaces and serve clients on both VLANs equally? Will fancy functionality like transfer zones and multi-zone work?

I do have an mDNS reflector running against all VLANs, and I’m sure that works because my HomeKit automation works across the VLANs.

The network hardware is all Ubiquiti UniFi managed hardware, if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

As far as I am aware it needs a single flat segment.

This is incorrect. Roon Core will listen on ALL directly attached interfaces (at least under Linux). I personally have multiple interfaces on my CentOS 7 based system, and Roon operates on all of them just fine.

What Roon does not support is routed networks. It needs to be directly attached to each network. And that can be either multiple physical interfaces (as the OP is asking about), or virtual interfaces (such as VLANs or VPN tunnels direct to the Roon server, such as I do with ZeroTier). Roon even listens on the internal NIC between the system and the iDRAC (management system) in my server (not that there is any way to have a Roon Remote or endpoint on that internal management NIC).

3 Likes

I decided to carve out the time to just try it. I set up a VLAN virtual interface on the Ubuntu server. I reprovisioned the switch to pass the .20 VLAN as tagged traffic on the Ubuntu server’s port. This brought up the virtual interface on .20, with the main physical interface still on .10.

With this setup, the Roon server is available on both the .10 and the .20 VLANs. I can run a remote on the .10 VLAN, controlling my Oppo device on the .20 VLAN.

I have not yet experimented with multi-zone playback or zone transfer; I will report back when I do (it’s too late now, after all this tinkering, I need to go to work in the morning…)

TL;DR: cwichura is correct; this works.

Thank you all.

Edit: Adding this: thanks to cwichura for pointing out it works with a virtual VLAN interface too. I did not need to connect the second physical NIC. I simply modified /etc/netplan/50-cloud-init.yaml to add a VLAN interface on the existing physical NIC and it worked.