Roon Server on NAS in 2021

Gotcha, all useful info. It must be driving you mad. I think ISP provided routers are typically awful and tend not to do well with busy network traffic.

Does your ISP provided router allow a modem mode so you could acquire a competent router and put that in your network instead? I would be looking at Linksys and then like and would consider using DD-WRT firmware, although there are plenty of other good choices.

You could consider using your NAS as your router also, and this way no needing to buy anything. Iā€™m sure it would be competent but Iā€™ve not tried it.

What is your ISP?

A chap in another thread suggests they have solved drop outs by trying a different cable, so methodically switching those out and gathering results sounds like a good thing to try also.

Yup tried that as well. Switch to 818 is about 30m so only so many cables you can try :slight_smile:

ISP is called zuku here in Kenyaā€¦ 100mbps fibre connection.

since latest QNAP firmware I now have no ability to log into the QNAP version - just the spinning wheelā€¦ Runs fine on my mac. Deleting and re-installing everythingā€¦

I am wondering whether Iā€™ve just discovered my long term issue but not sure how to validate.

When I bought the internal nvme SSD set up for the Qnap I put Roon on the 250gb SSD and then another 1tb SSD I used for read wrote cache acceleration. So far so goodā€¦

Iā€™m just wondering if the database is on the SSD or still on the spinning drives. Having looked in my (probably messy) file structure there are more than one ā€œroonserverā€ folders - some from times gone by, but I canā€™t see where my current one is.

Questions:

1. How do I see the location of my qnap Roon database? Obviously at the moment with qnap firmware issues Iā€™m running a cut down version on my iMac unil fixed.

2. If it is on my raid hdd, how do I move it? Some seem to say stop the core and copy, but in qnap Roon core there is ā€œmove databaseā€. In both cases however I donā€™t seem to be able to drag and drop the db or even access the SSD with commands (I wouldnā€™t know what commands to type as not that geeky).

3. If I just installed the Roon core from qnap store onto the SSD, and then restored from older backup (which is what I think I did) then would that automatically put the DB on the SSD or automatically put on HDD which is where the restore is from?

Help :wink:

Oh man, youā€™re really going through it.

I had a QNAP indefinite login spinner - IIRC this was how I solved it > https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=345&t=141322&start=15#p673874

I still suspect that the option to set your ISP provided router to ā€˜modem modeā€™ and then use a good quality router of your own will help with dropouts, although it is just a hunch based on my own UK ISP experience and it costs money.

Iā€™ll have a go at answering your Qsā€¦

1. I think you need to log in to your QNAP QPKG, or wherever you have your Roon core installed. Thatā€™s where I see my Roon DB location.
  2. Log in and clock ā€œchange DB locationā€
  3. I think it would put it where ever the DB location is currently set. You could remove the whole lot, reinstall from scratch and then restore.

To me, it seems like fixing the QNAP login is your first step unless youā€™re set on the mac now.

Soā€¦

Iā€™ve got rid of everything the the SSD and started again

hereā€™s the picture I have of the SSD dedicated on QNAP using their QM1 approved card.

Should it be set as a Static volume to start with?

If so, I donā€™t seem to be able to create a Storage Pool - or donā€™t I need to as itā€™s all one drive so itā€™s all the Storage Pool.

Challenge with moving DB or copying anything seems to be I canā€™t see the SSD in the File Manager or anywhere. So I si=till donā€™t know where the Roon DB was actually being stored (I can see lots of folders on my RAID HDDā€™s called ā€œRoonServerā€ so I guess over the years Iā€™ve stored in a couple of placesā€¦ :frowning:

Is this setup my starting point?

All the videos seem to start with installing then creating a Volume but Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s because theyā€™re SSDā€™s in the main HDD Bays rather than my nvme card slot or Iā€™ve even installed this little bit wrong firstā€¦

THEN, if this IS correct, I ā€œmigrateā€ Roon from the HDDā€™s onto the SSD but I have no idea if just moving the App or the DB automatically follows. Any if it doesnā€™t follow automatically, how do I move it (because I canā€™t see the SSD on file manager anywhere to drag and drop it)??

No idea if this early am brain dump makes any sense at all, no coffee yet!

Thanks in advance

1 Like

On my NAS, Iā€™ve not created a new storage/snapshot:

and

But under storage you will see (P1 M1 is my SSD for Roon):

For the new DataVol2 (the SSD) Iā€™ve set the mount link to /Roon:

And so on the share Iā€™ve the link Roon:

If you want change the directory for Roon:

At first create a backup of the database:

The you can change the place for the Roon database and after that restore the database from the backup.

wow - incredibly helpful/detailed - thanks!
canā€™t wait to get home!

I think you may just have won the ā€œworlds greatest rockstarā€ helper badge on hereā€¦

Now restoring from a giant backup so not there yet, but everything you explained clearly and concisely slotted into place :slight_smile:

Still need time to backup and confirm but you may have solved it for me :slight_smile:

Thanks!!

Is the SSD via M1 as fast as via default connection ?

What you mean with default?
M1 has two different options and they more faster than needed.

Ok. Just thought vs the standard slot for HD/SSD

Seems to be flying - still re-buildingā€¦thanks!

Next Question

Seem to have discovered that my backups may not have been as robust as planned. Theyā€™ve been backing up but the location and even though ā€œsuccessā€ seems to struggle to find any in the last year :frowning:

Any ideas how I access my iMac (on the same network) as a shared location Network Share?

Have tried this and also the longer IP address for remote login but keep getting unexpected errorsā€¦

Thanks in advance

Interestingly this is ā€œhost not foundā€

Not sure of the differencesā€¦

I have a 4-bay Asustor AS5304T with a 1.50GHz Celeron processor, 4GB of RAM and 4 x 2TB Seagate HDDs, giving 4.45TB of storage.

Roon performance seems fine; itā€™s running the Roon Server app, the database and all the music is on it.

Iā€™m about to run out of storage though, and my external backup drive is bursting at the seams. Whatā€™s the best configuration of drives I should go for to achieve all of the following:

1. Increase storage by a worthwhile amount?
  2. Get the best performance out of Roon?
  3. Back the whole lot up?

Cheers!