Roon Server on Synology DS216j?

Hi, just got a couple of days, I’ve it working on my Mac with no problems but I’m trying to install Roon Server on my Synology DS216J but when I try to manually install the spk file I keep getting this error message this file will not work on this Diskstation, I’ve done everything else as far as I know and I can’t understand what I’m doing wrong, it’s running DSM6 as I just upgraded it tonight as well but I can’t get any further and don’t know what I’ve done or not done ? Thanks

Unfortunately, Roon on Linux requires a 64 bit x86 processor, as described here.

The Marvell Armada in that NAS isn’t going to work for Roon Server :frowning:

1 Like

Mike, thanks for the info thought I was doing something wrong, with sales on after Christmas I think I’ll pick up the Synology 916 instead that should work fine looking at the specifications then fill it up with ease. I have an 128gb usb, could I put the Roon Server & Roon Database on that after installing it on the NAS then just transfer it to the USB instead of buying a new SSD which seems pointless if i didnt need to buy it. Reading the posts using the USB for that would work fine ?

1 Like

Note Roon recommends an i3 as minimum. See this from the knowledge base

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Server_on_NAS

However some people are using less powerful NAS devices OK but it depends somewhat on your library size and other factors such as if you are using large DSD files or not.

And again :slight_smile: I do not thing CPU power is the bottleneck here. My QNAP TS 451 is sufficient to run roon (Intel Celeron dual core). I added 8GB memory and roon runs on a USB3 SSD. No problems at all so far.

around 7000 albums.

CPU runs on 27% max when i get Roon to analyze fast.

Of course if a concolver plugin is added it may be a different world.

Best regards,

Armin

Thanks, if I can get a 451 which is cheaper than a 471 and it works fine that would be great and cheaper too. You say Roon runs on a USB3 SSD, do you mean a USB stick ? As I have one that is a 120GB which sounds like it would do fine.

No Samsung EVO 512GB connected to USB3 Port of the QNAP

The comments in this thread about flexibility of processing power are very apt. The current processing requirements are lower than the requirements for future features are likely to be. The devs have always reccomended that people err on the side of flexibility so they can enjoy future features without needing new hardware. If you have any interest in convolving or DSP in Roon then I would not reccomend purchasing a NAS for the purpose of running a Roon Core.

Hi Andrew, Im happy running Roon off my Mac as the Roon Core but sometimes instead of mucking about with the laptop I’d rather just use the Ipad and the Roon Server on the Nas to do it, im not really worried about DSP or anything else at present rather more about convenience and having a back up for my music if my Mac failed.