Roon Server process crashes frequently (once an hour or so)

Roon core running on Ubuntu 20.4
4core 8GB memory host
Roon version 1.7(build 610)

Network is hardwired between the Bridge servers and the core on GB ethernet. Clients are Wifi.

Bridge servers run on various rpi or odroid SBCs. Same Roon version as core. All exhibit the same behavior

Roon will run fine for the good part of an hour, then all clients lose connectivity and the stream stops. The host is still up, but the process is either not responding to clients or restarting. After the process recovers the client reconnects but the stream has to be restarted.

Hello @Gerard, and thanks for your report. Is RoonServer sitting idle when this happens or does it happen during playback? Next time you notice this issue, please reply to this thread with a timestamp of when you notice the issue and I’ll enable diagnostics for your account. Thanks!

Thanks. I’ve only noticed it during playback, although it could be happening during idle times as well. I can reproduce it at will, so let me know when I should timestamp the next occurrence

Just reproduced it @ 11:33AM EDST

And again at 11:52 EDST

Hello @Gerard,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Crashed @ 15:34 EDST

Again @ 15:54

Hello @Gerard, and thanks again for the timestamps! I have collected new diagnostics and added them to the QA team’s report. I’ll follow up as soon as I hear back from them.

Hello @Gerard, I spoke with our team today about your thread and they wanted to know if you had Plex media player or similar installed on this machine. They also noticed some issues connecting to TIDAL in your report, could you please elaborate on your network setup for me? Thanks!

Hello,
I do have PLEX running on a separate SBC but it’s on a different subnet. It does access a media share on the Linux host though… Roon core is running on the Linux server. WAN connectivity tests OK. All the Roon bits are hardwired together over GB LAN except for the client that runs on an Android tablet via WiFi. The internet connection is over a 100Mbps downlink routed out through a Open VPN connection. Is there something specific you need more information on? Thanks.

Any updates on this? It looks like the core is restarting every half hour or so. Is there any way to do a clean reinstall and recovery?

Hello @Gerard, my apologies for the delay while I spoke about this issue with the QA team. Earlier you mentioned using a VPN, do you still have this issue if its disabled entirely?

Not sure what that would have to do with the Roon server process crashing. I could see if the stream was stopping due to a connectivity issue, but the Roon server logs indicate the process is restarting every half hour or so. Everything else on the system is running correctly, so it doesn’t seem to be OS or hardware related. Any way to get a process dump for analysis?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.