QNAP Roon Server stopping without warning

I’ve noticed that since Roon server updated to version 1.5, build 323, I’ve been having problems with it stopping whilst the system is not being used. The icon on my QNAP’s desktop says it’s running but the application itself says it’s stopped and while it is I cannot access the Roon control application. The only way I have found of restarting it is to go through the motions of stopping it via the desktop icon and then restarting it from there.

Hello @Alan_McMillan,

Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue. How often do you see the Roon Server automatically stop itself? Once a day? Once a week? Could you please let me know the exact time that it occurs at, I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your QNAP’s Roon Server and a log file will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. Please let me know the time that this issue occurs at so that we can cross-reference the logs to see if there is anything that could be causing this issue.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris
I can’t sure at the moment of how often it does this or exactly when but it did it sometime today. Roon was okay this morning, but by 1900hrs it had stopped.
Regards

Alan

Hello @Alan_McMillan,

I can confirm that we have received the needed diagnostics info and have started a case for you with our QA team regarding this issue. I appreciate your patience while they have a chance to review the logs and will make sure to update you with their findings once they complete their report and pass it over to me.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks Noris, I wait to hear what you discover.

Alan

Hello @Alan_McMillan,

I apologize about the slight delay in getting back to you here, I have just received an initial report from QA. They require more information about the crash, specifically the Live Logs from your QNAP right after it stops by itself. The way to send those logs would be through the QNAP web panel, you can read more about the location of the Web Panel at this link here (under “Debugging Options”). Please upload those logs after a sudden stop has occurred and I will forward them to the QA team. I will PM you instructions shortly on how to upload the logs to our servers.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Alan_McMillan,

The QA team has not seen any indication of the files you submitted as being “Live Logs”, can you please confirm that you have uploaded the Live Logs and not the regular logs? They should have been download from a page similar to this one:

Additional instructions can be found at the link I previously sent you, copied here. Please let me know when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris
I can’t seem to find the page you have noted above. I have included a screenshot of the one that does appear on the QNAP together with its “more” menu and there is no live logs link that I can find. I’ve even browsed the file structure manually and only found the RoonServer And RAATServer system logs. What I sent you earlier was from the link that is in the lower screenshot of the two here.Any help here would be appreciated.

Capture2

A quick postscript though. I’ll be away for the next week so I won’t be able to act on any information you send or reply to any emails.
Regards

Alan

Hello @Alan_McMillan,

My apologies for the slight delay in getting back to you here, I just spoke to the QA team and it appears that our method of retrieving Live Logs has changed. The way to do so now is the following:

Command line logs can now be retrieved by creating a text file called `ROON_DEBUG_EXTERNAL_LOG.txt” in the the RoonServer directory (on the same level as the RoonServer and RAATServer directory).  

Then RoonServer needs to be stopped and started again. It will write the command line output to that text file which is what the QA team needs here to continue analysis.

You can download a blank .txt for that file name here:

http://dl.rieke.tv/ROON_DEBUG_EXTERNAL_LOG.txt

Please send us that .txt after it has been populated with the Command Line information for your setup

It should look like this:

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris
Sorry for the delay in responding to your latest message. I’m just back from a week’s holiday in Lisbon.
I have done what you asked but since I can’t attach the text file here, I have pasted its contents below.

Regards

Alan

23.07.18-12:57:27 — Starting RoonServer …
23.07.18-12:57:27 — ROON_DATABASE_DIR: /share/RoonServer
23.07.18-12:57:27 — ROON_DIR: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RoonServer
23.07.18-12:57:27 — Model: TS-251
23.07.18-12:57:27 — QNAP Serial: Q161B14347
23.07.18-12:57:27 — Architecture: x86_64
23.07.18-12:57:27 — QTS Version: 4.3.4
23.07.18-12:57:27 — PKG Version: 2018-06-14
23.07.18-12:57:27 — Hostname: Q80042536
23.07.18-12:57:27 — MTU: 1500 1500
23.07.18-12:57:27 — Loading additional 64-bit libs: false
23.07.18-12:57:27 — ROON_DEBUG_ARGS:
23.07.18-12:57:27 — RoonServer PID: 32225

########## Installed RoonServer Version ##########
1.5 (build 334) stable
stable
##################################################

23.07.18-12:57:27 — e[0;37;1me[0;0m00:00:00.003 e[0;36mTrace: [childprocess] using unix child processe[0;0m
23.07.18-12:57:27 — Initializing
23.07.18-12:57:28 — Started
23.07.18-12:57:32 — Not responding
23.07.18-12:57:37 — Running

Hi @Alan_McMillan
Did you copy the content of the textfile right after RoonServer has been stopped without a warning and before you restarted it?
The current content of the log file looks like RoonServer is currently running.

Are there also other services running on your QNAP (like other Media servers, Backup plans…)?

Hello @Alan_McMillan,

Please let us know your reply to @crieke’s questions and follow his instructions to upload those logs right after RoonServer unexpectedly stops. I have PM’d you instructions on where to upload that log file, please let us know after you have done so and we’ll be glad to take a look!

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Crieke
I thought I was supposed to stop it and then restart it. The log after stopping it looks like this:

23.07.18-19:15:11 — Stopping RoonServer…
23.07.18-19:15:11 — Roon PID to be killed: 7520
23.07.18-19:15:12 — RoonServer has been stopped.

There are no other apps running on the server aside from core ones.

Alan

Hi Noris
I’ve sent the log to Crieke. It doesn’t stack the various events. All it shows is the text when running. If it stops the content doesn’t change. I’ve uploaded it nonetheless.

Alan

ROON_DEBUG_EXTERNAL_LOG.txt

Hi @Alan_McMillan,
Sorry for the confusion. Let me explain the required steps again.
After placing the text file into your RoonServer database directory, RoonServer needed to be restarted to be aware of using this logfile.

You should then let RoonServer run until it had been stopped without a warning again,
Then send this log file to the support team (before starting RoonServer again).

Then there might be some info in the log, why it had been stopped.

Hi Crieke
Thanks for the clarification. I will upload the log the next time Roon stops without warning. I can’t say however how long it will be before it does.

Regards

Alan

1 Like

Hi @crieke
Roon’s stopped again all by itself so I’ve uploaded the log to the https://dev.roonlabs.com/up/ site for you to have a look at.
The filename is ROON_DEBUG_EXTERNAL_LOG (1).txt
Regards

Alan McMIllan

Hello @Alan_McMillan,

Thanks for submitting that new log, I can confirm that we have received it and I have forwarded it to the QA team who will hopefully be able to provide more insight here. I will be sure to update you once they have completed their analysis of the new log file.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Alan_McMillan,

I wanted to let you know that we have discussed your case with the Dev team who will be taking a closer look at what could be causing this behavior. Although I cannot comment on an exact time frame of when this investigation will be complete, I will be sure to update you with any progress we make as soon as I receive a report back from the Dev team. I appreciate your patience and thanks again for the report.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks Noris