Roon server stops responding on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS / i5 Quad with 16GB Ram - Library on Synology NAS / Build number not known

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet - Server & NAS on 1GB cable, controllers on Wifi.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

2x B&W Z2, 1 Meridian 218, 1 MuSo

Description Of Issue

Roon server will periodically stop responding to the control app. Roon shows up as running using the HTOP command on Ubuntu, the server is fully accessible via the network (I use SSH as there’s no console). I have the roon control app on iPads. The Roon server periodically stops responding to the control app - just get the message “Waiting for Remote Core. Roon is still trying to connect, but it’s taking longer than normal…” Rebooting the server cures the issue, for a few hours or days, then it will randomly stop responding again.

Hi @David_Green,

Can you describe your network setup? What networking hardware is in use?

When one remote disconnects, are all remotes in this same state or do other remotes have the ability to connect?

Hi,

The network setup is complex, but to answer the question:

When one remote disconnects, they all disconnect. It’s the Roon Server that doesn’t respond.

The cabled side of the network is managed by a Netgear GS724T switch. (Behind that is an FVS336v3G3 Firewall, but that isn’t part of the connection to the Roon Server).
Connected to the Switch are a number of TP-Link Wifi Access Points - due to the size of our property a single Wifi AP isn’t sufficient. The remotes connect via the Wifi Access Points.

Thanks for the info, @David_Green.

We have sometimes seen this type of behavior stem from the use of WiFi access points, as noted in our, Networking Guide. It’s hard to say if this is for sure the issue just yet, but I’d like to propose a test which should help us determine this.

If you have a Mac or Windows machine that you can connect via Ethernet to the network and you use this device as a remote, does this remote also disconnect from the Core?

Hi,

I’d love to give an update, but my Wifi connected devices have worked perfectly for the last week, with nothing changed.
I’ll updated next time I get a ‘not responding’ issue.

1 Like

Hi,

It’s finally done it again (twice) The roon server stops responding to all controllers, including the one that’s connected via ethernet. The server then requires a full re-boot, after which all controllers work fine once again for a couple of days.

Hi @David_Green,

The next time this happens, can you verify the following?

That’s what I’ve done.

The devices all disconnect together:

2 x IPads - Wifi, cannot contact roon server
1 x MacBook, cabled ethernet, cannot contact roon server

Reboot the server, and all controllers work again.

Thanks for confirming, @David_Green.

I notice that the switch you’re using is a managed switch. As noted in our Networking Guide, these types of switches often require some advanced setup and we’ve seen some issues stem from them.

Moving forward, I’m hoping you could try the following:

• Bypass the switch entirely and connect the Core machine directly to the primary router via Ethernet
  • If the same problem occurs in this configuration, make note of the time that it occurs and respond here with that time so we can enable diagnostics

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.