Roon server (with ROCK) not responding for several hours and then blocked at login screen until I reset the Roon database in web UI

Symptom: Roon server (with ROCK) not responding for several hours and then blocked at login screen until I reset the Roon database in web UI.

Core machine:
CPU: intel J3160
DRAM: DDR3 8GB
System Disk: SSD 256 GB
Roon OS version: 1.0 (build 159) stable
Core version: 1.6 build 401 stable 64bit

Environment:
a PC with samba server enabled as a storage connected with GbE to the Roon Server machine. The player a COS H1 DAC connected to the USB port on the Roon Server machine.

Log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9i5jorxf2mspnvd/Chorus_Chuang_Roon_Server_Can_not_Login.zip?dl=0

Not a recommended NUC platform spec that’s for sure.

Hi @Chorus_Chuang,

Thanks for providing that information and for attaching those logs. The Core machine does appear to be quite a bit under spec’d, our recommended guidelines can be found here.

As for the main issue at hand, there are two things:

1. The logs are saying that you appear to be out of space on that ROCK device’s database directory.

2. You are not using the newest Roon OS version, the current one is build 174. You can click on the “Reinstall” button in the ROCK WebUI to upgrade it and I would make a backup of your current db first.

I would first try to make a backup of your current database, save it somewhere safe, perform the update to build 174, then possibly look for a bigger hard drive and better CPU for your ROCK. Our suggested ROCK hardware can be found here.

Thanks,
Noris

I got it. Thank you for pointing out these problems.

1 Like

Hi Noris,

I click on the “Reinstall” button in the ROCK WebUI.
After it have done the reinstall (it shown update successfully), I found the Roon OS version is still 1.0 (build 159) stable.
Is there anything I need to take care?

Best regards,
Chorus

Hi @Chorus_Chuang,

I was afraid that might happen. It looks like your ROCK is out of space and it can’t perform the upgrade to the newest OS. I would go ahead with making the database backup and upgrade the hard drive/CPU first. After the new drive is in place you can restore and upgrade the ROCK firmware as it will have more free space available.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,

Thank you for rapid response, I have fixed the space problem and update it with Roon app UI successfully.

Best regards,
Chorus

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.