Roon server without own library files

Hi, what kind of Roon server do you advice?

I only use Roon with Qobuz to stream.
I don’t have any music files.

Currently I have an iMac running as a core but I don’t want it to be on all the time.
I do want to listen to music all the time.

I already found the Nucleus to be perfect, but very expensive…
I found the NUC’s with Rock nice but not sure if this is the right combo for me, I really like plug&play.

Apple released new Mac mini’s, which could be a better fit.
But I’m also reading about the Mini’s not being quiet enough, adding noise to the sound chain etc.

What do you advice me?

Thanks!

Hi @joepvanos, it’s probably best to take your points one at a time.

• streaming only with no local library means you don’t need loads of storage, something large enough for the OS and Roon DB and preferably fast, an SSD of some kind. 256 - 512 GB should be ample
  • if you don’t want the iMac on 24/7 but want Roon all the time it will have to be another machine
  • the Nucleus is too expensive (I thought so to) but a NUC with ROCK is tempting. While this isn’t plug and play it’s not a tough task to build the NUC and install ROCK. Once you’d done that it should be plug and play.
  • if you’re comfortable with Macs the mini might still be the best option.
  • regarding noise, there are two aspects. Physical noise of the box itself, e.g. fans and the signal/electrical noise that might affect something like a USB DAC. Physical noise only matters if you’re in the same room as the machine. If you use it as a server only you can locate it out of the way. Electrical noise is unlikely to be (will not be :wink: ) an issue if you’re streaming to endpoints over ethernet, so again an out of the way server with networked endpoints would work.

I hope that helps some.

2 Likes

Hi, Yes that helps.

Thanks for your answer. I’ll go with the new Mac Mini 8 core 16GB, 256GB SSD version.

Cheers!

Please be aware that Roon’s current release probably will not work on the new M1 processor, used in the mini.
I have not seen any aknowledgement by Roon supporting this new Apple processor.
Dirk

1 Like

I stand corrected!
Dirk

1 Like

I bought a used NUC meeting the requirements with the memory and disk already installed and just had to install the Rock OS and was up and running in 15 minutes.

1 Like

Easy and saves :pound::heavy_dollar_sign: