Roon service on ROCK keeps rebooting after Force rescan

Roon server service on ROCK keeps resetting for half an hour or more after a Force rescan of the music folder on NAS.

This is annoying when you want to listen to newly added albums and are forced to do a complete reboot of the ROCK to break these server resets…

If i let it continue, after some time it also works again, but the time it takes varies much…

Hi @Audiofi3l ----- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The insight is appreciated!

Moving forward, I want to make sure that I have this behavior correct in my head so I can properly advice. To verify that I am conceptualizing the issue properly, when ever you force rescan the the music folder located on your NAS ROON reboots on the NUC, correct? Does setting “rescan intervals” on the mentioned watch folder produce the same result?

Additionally, are changes being picked up by the application when you add new content to the NAS or are you having to force a rescan because they aren’t?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

when i force a re-scan of the music folder on the NAS, the Roon service starts a series of restarts, the system itself (ROCK) keeps running.

The default re-scan interval of 4 hours is set on the watch folder. This seems to be running normally. There is no connection lost when it does occur while i am playing music…

That said, changes are picked up with the set 4 hour interval. I was running into the problem because sometimes i add something tot the library and want to play at that right moment without waiting up-to 4 hours if i am not lucky…

Kind regards,
Mart

Hi @Audiofi3l ----- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to provide the requested feedback. Very appreciated!

Moving forward, if you are able to reliable reproduce this behavior I would like to have our tech take a closer look into this behavior by enabling diagnostics on your account, but before I do that may I kindly ask you to please reproduce the issue and then note the time when the Roon service starts rebooting.

When I have the above timeframes I will go ahead and enable the mentioned diagnostics.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Normally when i doe a rescan manually this behavior occurs. But not = always with the same length. January 29th at about 23:00 this same behavior occurred with an automatic interval scan.

Regards,
Mart

Thank you for touching base with me and taking the time to provide the requested feedback, @Audiofi3l. Appreciated!

Moving forward, I enabled diagnostics on your account this morning and I can confirm that the report has been received. I will be attaching it to your ticket and then passing over to our tech team for analysis. Once your ticket has been updated I will be sure to share the team’s thoughts/findings with you in a timely manor.

Thank you for your continued patience while our tech team completes their evaluation.
-Eric

Hi @Audiofi3l ----- Thank you again for your patience while the team has been looking into this issue for you very appreciated!

Continuing forward, our techs have asked if you could perform a quick test for us and then share the observations that you make during to add another data point to their investigation. Please see below.

• Please temporarily disable ALL of your network based watch folders in the application.

• Create a “test” folder on the internal storage of the NUC (hosting ROCK) and populate the test folder with a hand full of albums.

• Add the test watch folder in ROON and then go about your “adding new content and forcing a rescan procedure” with the test folder.

• What is the experiencing like?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the response. How can store files on the NUC hosting ROCK? For now it seems I am not able to access it using smb (or any other protocol)…

Regards,
Mart

p.s.: it would be handy to be able to response directly to the e-mail :wink:

Hi @Audiofi3l ----- Thank you for touching base with me @Audiofi3l, appreciated!

If I am remembering correctly, you are making use of a Win10 Roon remote, yes? I just was able to access ROCK from my WIn10 remote I have setup. Can you share a screenshot of the error you are seeing.

However, if you are trying to access ROCK via an OSX based device you may be feeling the affects of this known issue. In order to get around this you should try accessing ROCK by using CIFS and not SMB.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I am also using a Windows 10 device, yes. See the screenshot for the error I get. This is despite the fact is see the device at network…

Kind regards,
Mart
Hi Eric,

I am also using a Windows 10 device, yes. See the screenshot for the error I get. This is despite the fact is see the device at network…

Capture

Kind regards,
Mart

Hi @Audiofi3l ----- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested information.

I did some research on the error code that is being received (i.e 0x80070035) and there are a few ways that this error can be fixed. If you have any active firewalls or antivirus application running on the mentioned Win10 device these security protocols could be causing some trouble. If you have these features active on the mentioned device would you kindly disable them (temporarily) and let me know if the behavior improves.

Thanks!
-Eric

Allright, i did connect to the share with another device and that worked. So now is have added some folders with music and Rock scanned them automaticly the time it did so was 12:20.

At 12:22 i did a manual force rescan. Also without problems it seems. So is this because it’ s locally or because the full library is much bigger? Or mayby the Core i3 of the NUC is too slow?

Kind regards,
Mart

Thank you for the follow up @Audiofi3l! I appreciate you sharing the observations you have made during the proposed troubleshooting exercise. Very appreciated!

I touched base with our techs again this morning about this behavior you’ve reported and the feedback from your testing. The team has informed me that they are actively looking into a similar issue and a fix is currently being tested in our QA lab that we believe should help here.

-Eric

Great thank you! It seems to work better now indeed!

Only thing is, now i get an “error loading page” message every time i open the ‘Overview’. After a few clicks on ‘reload page’ the message is gone, but when opening ‘Overview’ again from somewhere else within Roon it’s back…

Hi Mart, just to clarify, did Team Roon fix something for you personally or are you still waiting for a fix in a new release (the one @eric mentions is being tested)? I have this issue so am interested in the outcome.

You mean the problem witch hanging after re-scanning the database or the error loading page?

If i am correct the first one was fixed with the last Roon update (306), but that same update introduced the error loading page, in my case…

OK thanks, yes the ‘ROCK reboot after force rescan’ issue. I haven’t tested the issue since 306 so will test again.