Roon setup related issues (pain?)

Thanks for the clarification. Since ROCK is based on a linux kernel, I would assume the success in installing on MOCK will hinges on whether it contains all the drivers for the peripherals rather than the CPU itself, especially the network component. Does it support AMD CPU or the latest 12gen/13gen Intel CPU with small and big cores, where the task scheduler will need to be aware of how to assign to appropriate cores.

Yes, it’s all about drivers/peripherals for the most part. MOCK configurations are not supported by Roon Labs, and I don’t have a list of drivers that are known to work well. We don’t have the resources to maintain a Linux distro for all hardware combinations, so we restrict to NUCs to keep the field small enough to manage.

Your best bet is to look at other people who have MOCK installs and what hardware they have managed to get working.

As @Suedkiez mentions the fastest supported platform for Linux based Roon Core is the sonicTransporter i9

Thanks, @Carl, for explaining so clearly what are the options this time around :pray:

@Joe_Lam, I’ve replied to the email you sent us yesterday :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks to everyone’s support here. Roon finally finished scanning my library. Search and playback functions seem to perform well, though it could be snappier. I have ordered a more powerful machine to update the server performance.
For those with huge library, I would suggest minimum 32GB memory. On the current Windows machine, I have seen memory usage exceeds 22GB, though CPU utilization usually hoover around 30% when scanning, indicating the single thread nature of the Roon server app. I would suggest that is an area (server being a true multi-threaded app) for future optimization to improve CPU utilization and overall performance.
Now the next problem that I’m running into is Roon ARC. The iOS app report intermittent connection to the server, sometimes having difficulty finding it. Even when connected, it sometimes struggle with accessing content. This is when the server is sitting idle (i.e. not scanning or playing anything). I have Gb fiber internet connection and the server is on GbE, so what could possibly be the problem here? What should be the expected performance of ARC?

Congratulations for finishing the scanning :slight_smile: For ARC, I suggest you open a new topic in ARC: Port Forwarding Help if you haven’t done so yet, and fill out the answers to the questions in the default template.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.