Roon shows a track as playing even after it has ended, and then doesn't advance to the next track

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC10i7FH Operating System Version 1 Roon Server Version 1.8 Build 7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Zyxel Router/ Ruckus APs for remotes

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Linn Akurate DS (Ethernet) standalone Linn Majik DS on Control4 system

Description Of Issue

On playing a Qobuz playlist or a ripped CD from my library track advancing does not work properly. After first track is played it shows it still playing (the animation on the left of the track in the track list keeps going) but the playback stops and it fails to advance to the next track. Doesn’t happen using Linn Kazoo.

I and others have experienced this issue with Roon and Linn streamers intermittently over the last couple of years. In my case, both with Klimax and with Selekt system hubs. Unfortunately, it’s been very difficult to track down, as it comes and goes without any obvious trigger. Roon support have set additional logging on my systems, but so far they haven’t been able to nail the problem. It does not help that it goes away for months. For example, the Selekt system I have at this location used to have the issue some times, but it has worked perfectly in the last couple of weeks. Similar situation with the Klimax system at our other location: it has the issue for a while, and then it goes away for weeks or months, typically either the Roon server or the Linn system are rebooted for some other reason.

Thank you! That’s a pity as it makes Roon unviable as a solution for me and I was really enjoying the functionality. I would have thought that there would have been more comment if it was pervasive and given that Linn features Roon on their website. We seem to be rather unlucky with some unidentified part of our setup. In my case it is quite persistent - I could possibly tolerate if it only happened infrequently - but it appears to be permanent now and rebooting either the Akurate and Majik DS or Roon don’t appear to help.

There are several threads on this and related issues on the forum, under different headings. Roon has been talking with Linn about it for quite a while. But so far they have not found a definite solution. From another, non-Roon issue I’m dealing with involving Linn, it’s clear they have limited engineering capacity for fixing less common issues when they are in the middle of new product launches as they are now with Organik.

As other posters have said, this has been raised a few times on here, but unfortunately without resolution so far. It only seems to happen with Linn kit though. I had the issue on our KDS/3 when I used an HP Microserver running the core on first WHS 2011 and then Win10, but managed to resolve the issue when I moved to a NUC running ROCK, which I see the OP is already doing.
I set the NUC up last June and I think I’ve had the issue only once or twice in the months since then.
Back when I regularly had the issue, I found a reboot (even just a ‘soft’ one via Konfig) resolved the issue for a day or so. I have a suspicion it’s a network issue, but if so, why it seems to only affect Linn kit is a mystery.
@economix609 - do you have a friend nearby with a network you could try your NUC and DS on?

Michael

I have had the issue on two different locations with two different network setups, but mostly based on Ubiquiti/UniFi pro gear. However, I believe Songcast involves UDP multicast, unlike Roon’s RAAT with is TCP-based, so I could imagine occasional UDP packet loss creating confusion between the Roon core and the Linn endpoint.

1 Like

Hi @economix609 and welcome to the Roon community :wave:

I am so sorry our welcome comes this late. Please, accept my apologies for missing on your post for this long.

I was wondering if this is still something you’re experiencing? If so, could you please let us know? We’d love to have another opportunity to help :nerd_face:

Hi Rebeka, me again :slight_smile: I don’t know whether @economix609 is still having this issue, but I have two Linn systems in different locations. One (Klimax system hub) has the problem often, the other (Selekt system hub) has not had it in several months. I’ve exchanged information about this with @noris for quite a while and he turned on special logging on my Core, which I carry between the two sites. I’m currently at the “good” site, but my logs still have information from the “bad” site, BTW. The network wiring at the two sites is quite different. The “bad” site uses MoCA transceivers for its Ethernet (no other choice given how it was built), the “good” site Cat 5e all over.

Hey @Fernando_Pereira,

Great to hear back from you :relieved:

When you said you’ve discussed this with Noris, are you referring to this thread?

Noris would be best able to help with improving things at your “bad” site. Continuing the conversation with him on the above thread would be the fastest way to have this addressed :slight_smile:

Hi Rebeka thanks for writing. It seems to be ok now - fingers crossed. No further issues.

1 Like