Roon shows MQA instead of FLAC

If it ain’t on the file, it ain’t coming out of the speakers…

the beryllium tweeters on my Focal 1007BE’s definitely sparkle a lot, maybe too much at times. I had to take off my Levinson amp and add something more understated. So yeah, it could be the tweeters are a good mix with MQA. I’ll have to try that.

The Berillium tweeters on Meridian DSP speakers are part of a system. They sound great with everything I throw at them. I am never tempted to adjust tone controls.

I was just listening to a Vinyl Transfer of The Faces, Coast to Coast live album 192/16 (Not available in digital form) and the very very loose ragged performance sounded great to me. Those were the days…

I don’t only listen to MQA but I do like the albums I have access to…

They definately need good room treatment, in a hard room they will be rather over bearing in the treble region. Eventually I ditched my 1028BEs.

Sorry for the OT.

That’s been a bit of my experience. For some music I really love them, but for others I am “turning it down” and that is not good. That’s in a carpeted room with a bunch of crap on the back wall (i.e. not exactly room treatment, but should not highlight the tweeters). I find they sound best on an old McIntosh amp or my Musical Design amp, both of which are on the warm sound side. Not so good with Krell or Levinson.

A post was split to a new topic: MQA capabilities - which setting should I choose and what are the differences

I love this “Not Musically lossy in any meaningful way” Where did you learn this? Do you know how MQA encoding works?
What is developinghere is MQA English. In MQA English lossy protocol is not musically lossy. I get it.

1 Like

Glad you Get It. Happy Christmas :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

Andrew,
where do I find “Device Setup/Advanced Settings”?
My Roon app menu only includes “Settings” (containing a “Setup” submenu, which does not include anything pointing to MQA Core Decoder settings.
I’m running Server Software 1.5-build 363

You find Device Setup here:

Settings > Audio then click the gears icon next to your device. From there click Device Setup and Advanced Settings will be accessed at the bottom.

Cheers, Greg

Thanks Greg … and Merry Christmas!

1 Like

@erho,
Where did you purchase the FLAC file from?

No one can fault you for liking MQA, enjoy it.
But stick to you opinions, or the facts. Do not quote MQA marketing material almost verbatim and present it as something you know.
And find out more about what lossless means, what is DSP, and how digital filters affect what you hear.

It took like three years for MQA to finally drop the word “lossless” from their marketing. Only because they could not pretend anymore it is.

You cannot possibly know that other than from reading MQA marketing materials. What you hear is the result of of MQA DSP.

Sorry I would never say that about MQA. Your quote comes across as if I said it, weird.

MQA is Lossy Over 40Khz, please show me the microphone that can record this and the person who can hear it. These high sample rates are for filtering and not Music. There is no music there to lose.

My apologies I picked it from your response my fault

They should rename MQA “Hydra Audio” because for each debate thread you try to chop off, three more grow!

Chris, it’s not lossless. There are two choices and anything else is a euphemism. It might sound great. But it simply isn’t lossless.

We may some day find out that although our ears do not exactly hear frequencies, that does not mean their absence does not affect sound perception. I cannot say I know that to be the case. Doesn’t matter for streaming, but MQA should not become a standard archival or physical distribution format as Bob Stuart would like, because it does not store the entirety of the signal. It is fine as a streaming format as long as it stays in its corner.

The way people compare the lossyness of MQA to MP3 is disingenuous at best. They are Chalk and Cheese. Worlds apart. It really is a cheap shot and does the argument no good at all. MP3 loses data across the whole audible frequency range by design. MQA does not.
Any energy in any frequency that isn’t even there at above 40Khz has no effect on sound unless you can prove otherwise.

1 Like

I’ll take the “sounds great”. That’s what I want from this process, not some semi religious devotion to (inaudible (to some)) purity.

3 Likes

Take what you want. Just don’t state obvious untruths like it’s lossless. And I do not buy any argument that something can be virtually lossless. It is or it isn’t, in this context, and it isn’t. I’m not against anyone enjoying their format of choice. Just don’t make claims that are flat out and demonstrably inaccurate, is all.