Roon signal path: Network vs. USB

I recently purchased a Roon Ready Lyngdorf TDAi-3400, which has some impressive DSP features, such as room correction (dubbed RoomPerfect), ICC (Intersample Clipping Correction), etc. The Lyngdorf is being fed by both Ethernet and USB via a Roon Nucleus.

When connected by Ethernet, here’s the signal path. As you’ll note, Roon permits the Lyngdorf to apply its DSP and then sends the final signal to the speakers:

When connected by USB, here’s the signal path. You’ll note that none of the DSP parameters are applied:

Is the lack of DSP on the USB input to be expected?

Roon Ready players can report detailed signal path via RAAT as in the first picture. Detailed reporting like that is just not possible using USB because Roon Core has no way to know what happens to the signal after USB - it does not imply it is not doing DSP. This also explains enhanced vs lossless. The former refers to the path from Roon Core to speaker, the latter refers to the path from Roon Core to USB port.

2 Likes

Nice looking amp.

1 Like

@Flashman how is the sound and what speakers are you using with it…what were you using before and do you find it an incremental upgrade or significant?
Which of the sound features do you prefer the most and what buys the most advantage. What is your room like too :slight_smile: lots of questions sorry - have been looking at this model of late but yet to hear it.

1 Like

As usual @wklie, you are a wealth of information! Thanks!

@wizardofoz

Coming from a Devialet 200 (non-Pro), I find the sound to be as detailed, with perhaps more mid-range finesse, yet less dynamic. On the latter point, I could listen to certain tracks with the Devialet and there would be sounds that would almost startle me from time to time. I attribute that partly to the amp section and partly to the implementation of SAM with my speakers (Vivid Oval 1.5s).

I’ve stated above what I used before. Actually, I find the upgrade to be sideways. I have gained room correction, which does enhance the sweet spot. I have also gained loads of flexibility in terms of Spotify Connect, loads of internet stations and 32 different “Voicings,” which is Lyngdorf’s term for pre-set equalization, such as “music,” “bass1,” “bass2,” “relaxed,” etc. On the other hand, I do miss the terrific dynamic sound of the Devialet.

I think the reason to buy the Lyngdorf is room correction. It’s sophisticated and dead simple to implement. Also, if you are using a sub with bookshelf speakers, it can accommodate them in the room perfect application. It’s also an extremely flexible amp, with a web interface that puts the Devialet SD card shenanigans to shame. Probably the next reason to buy it is the 32 different voicings, which could be considered a SAM equivalent on steroids.

Here’s the deal: my wife and I live in a condo with 12-foot ceilings. Our sound system is in our main living space, which is large and rectangular. That’s why room correction was so interesting to me.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks Michael appreciate the feedback. How do find the DAC in it? Last question I promise :slight_smile:

I’m a believer in short signal paths and simplicity: thus, I wouldn’t introduce a different DAC. BTW, the Lyngdorf doesn’t have a conventional DAC; instead it’s termed a “Power DAC” because of its unique topology. :grinning:

I believe it uses the same family of TI digital amplification technology as our Lumin M1, so it should not have a DAC inside. No analog conversion occurs in the middle, and it requires ADC instead to convert analog signal into digital for its room correction, DSP and amplification to work.

1 Like

Two fine points in addition to Peter’s incisive comments: 1) The TDAi-3400 is 100% digital without sound-deteriorating digital-to-analog conversions. The digital signal drives the speakers directly, with no translation and no middleman, unless 2) You use the high-end analog input module, which I have, and then the ADC kicks in. Great for phono stage or other analog requirements.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.