Roon Signal Processing

All file formats, FLAC, WAV, etc. are PCM. All Roon does is decode the individual file format to raw PCM which is then transmitted to the DAC. All streamers do this, even the RS150. Roon does not alter the bits of the file unless you specifically configure it to do so using the DSP processes included with Roon.

2 Likes

Roon shows the processing chain the input goes through. In a some cases I have found that Roon was resampling and changing the PCM bits without any processing configured. It was not just extracting the PCM streams from a FLAC wrapper.

In general this is a good thing and is probably key to Roon’s success… it tries to figure out the capabilities of the system its sending the music to and changing the PCM stream to match the system’s capabilities. It’s what makes it possible for Roon to stream to the HomePods and Sonos speakers I have around the house. I don’t think either the RS150 or MX180 can do this.

But there doesn’t seem to be a way to prevent this. I don’t want the bits changed when Roon is sending the streams to the RS150.

Also the FLAC wrapper has other info in it besides PCM streams. That is thrown away when when Roon extracts the PCM. The RS150 can use some of that information. This is another reason I don’t want the bits changed.

What I want is Roon’s music management capabilities grafted onto whatever audio processing system I want.

Maybe when I connect Rose to Roon that’s what I’ll get… Roon will choose to send the source PCM and somehow the meta data in a FLAC file to Rose for processing. We’ll see…

Maybe so. The RS150 is Roon Ready, so I presume it will have good integration. You might think about starting another thread with “HiFi Rose RS150” in the thread title asking for feedback from current users of that device.

Metadata is not lost or discarded what makes you think this. Roon provides any necessary metadata over RAAT, it provides the streamer with all the info it needs and the advances stuff is shown in the Roon app. What the device displays on its screen is highly dependant on the manufacturer and what they decide to show. My Naim system shows the same info as it does when using UPnP but Roon app gives me more info obviously as it has enhanced metadata as part of its library system and metadata services…

That sounds promising!

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.