Mac Mini late 2012 / Yosemite / WiFi / 4 Gigs RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Google Mesh: base + one extender

Connected Audio Devices

Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 WiFi plus others

Number of Tracks in Library

1573 Albums

Description of Issue

About 4 days ago Roon stopped working in the middle of an listening session. It now just skips every track, although it looks like it’s going to start. I have rebooted all the parts of the network and the associated devices. Everything is on the same network. The core can see the Lyngdorf. As well I have installed build 988. Nothing helps. This is immensely frustrating.

It may have worked in the past. Just pointing out that your OS is not the recommended minimum for what Roon calls typical usage. Yosemite is 10.10, the late 2012 Mini can run either 10.14 Mojave or 10.15 Catalina.

1 Like

The warning on that page is also very relevant:

We strongly advise against using older macOS and Windows versions than are listed here. As Roon’s technology continues to improve, older Operating Systems will not be able to properly provide a quality experience.

You could try upgrading RAM to 8 or 16GB.

Soldered RAM, alas. It’s a ten yr-old machine. I accept that it probably needs to be replaced. That said, I don’t think that’s the issue here. Roon ran on it with essentially no problem for years and then just stopped. I see others are having the same problem, even with the fix.

Each Roon update adds stuff. Your Mac Mini is below spec. You probably fell below what works with latest update.

Not sure that’s the case, it’s worth confirming. My Core is on a late 2012 Mini with 16GB.

This from Apple’s site:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP659?locale=en_CA

Apparently a 20hr internet outage was just the trick… thanks for the suggestions on updating the machine. I’ll see what I can do with it. Or buy a Nucleus…

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.