iMac Catalina

Networking Gear & Setup Details

2 Airport Extremes - extended network

Connected Audio Devices

Node 2i connected with ethernet to extended router

Number of Tracks in Library

???

Description of Issue

Roon started skipping while streaming a playlist from TIDAL an hour or two ago. I’ve already signed out of TIDAL and rebooted my core. Then signed back in to TIDAL. Problem still exists. Rebooted my modem as well as the Node 2i.

Roon recommends against Apple Airport devices in networking-best-practices, short excerpt here:

Finally, we strongly recommend against using Apple network devices such as the Apple Airport Extreme and Airport Express (note: it’s fine to use the Airport Express as an Airplay device). To ensure the best performance, we recommend against using these devices.

You may just have been lucky all along that it worked up to this point, but better think about changing that now.

I’ve rarely had this problem the whole time I’ve been using roon.

Roon recommends against Apple Airport devices in networking-best-practices, short excerpt here:

Finally, we strongly recommend against using Apple network devices such as the Apple Airport Extreme and Airport Express (note: it’s fine to use the Airport Express as an Airplay device). To ensure the best performance, we recommend against using these devices.

You may just have been lucky all along that it worked up to this point, but better think about changing that now.

Which router set up is worth getting if I did choose to upgrade?

That’ll mainly depend on your household layout, construction and other connectivity needs.
I’m not a networking pro, so definately not able to advise, even if you’d describe the above satisfactorily.

From my experience, I prefer the ageing Asus DSL-AC68U DSL/WLAN-Router to the newer Netgear Nighthawk AC4000 (R8000P) WIFI router, simply because of it’s web interface and functionality.
Both are not up to the latest developments, but nicely work in a 100m² concrete flat with an elongated layout.

Maybe some more experienced users will chime in and help out - good luck!

I can highly recommend the Asus RT-AX88U. Had this for a while now, and it has great range and the web interface is clear and functional.

Has anyone tried Ubiquiti?

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.