Roon Skipping Tracks

Folks,

This started a few months ago but has been getting progressively worse. After an hour or 2 of play Roon starts skipping through tracks. It starts to play them (no sound but app looks like it does) then just skips to the next track in the queue. This will go on and on unless I restart the core. Doesn’t matter what tracks they are as after restarting the core everything including the tracks Roon skipped plays just fine. Here’s my setup:

Storage = Mac Mini (8GB RAM) Roon 1.3 (build 276) ------> NETGEAR ProSAFE GS108 8-Port Gigabit Switch ------->QNAP TS-251+ 8GB RAM with two 3TB drives

Audio = Mac Mini USB --------> UpTone Regen ----------> Hegel H160 USB

Albums = 3,046
Tracks = 34,077

Appreciate any help

Thanks
Robin~

Hi @Robin ----- Thank you for the PM and sharing your feedback with us. The insight is very appreciated! We typically try to handle and support related questions on the “support” thread of the community site so other users have access to any information or advice being shared, should it prove useful to them as well. Would you mind if I made your PM a public topic and we continue troubleshooting from there? Let me know.

In the meantime, may I very kindly ask you for the following information:

• My assumption is that you are experiencing this “skipping” behavior with both local content and TIDAL content. Please confirm.

• During your troubleshooting of the this behavior have you confirmed if the issue is still present when you…

• Play directly out of the MacMini to a pair of headphones?
  • Mount the H160 DAC directly to the MacMini via USB, leaving the Regen temporarily removed from the chain?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Sure please go ahead and put in “support” thread - I couldn’t figure out how to do that.
re: “in the meantime”

• I don’t subscribe to TIDAL
  • Haven’t played thru headphones - tough to do because I will have to wear them for an hour or maybe longer before it starts to happen. I’ll give it a shot.
  • Yes I removed the Regen from the equation - still happens.

Thanks!

Hi Eric,

I tested with just headphones and it happened as well.
Any help would be great as having to shut down and restart core on a regular basis is no fun.

Thanks,
Robin~

Hi @Robin ----- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my questions, very appreciated!

Moving forward, I would like to enable some diagnostics on your account but first can you please confirm the the following for me:

• If you playback content that is stored directly on your MacMini do you still get the tack skipping behavior?

• If you are making use of the DSP engine have you tried testing with that feature disabled?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I’m not using the DSP engine.
Tracks skip even if music is on my Mini.

All my music is on the NAS which is connected directly to the Mac Mini via a Netgear switch.
How do we move forward with diagnostics?

Thanks!
Robin~

Many thanks for verifying that information for me @Robin, appreciated!

Moving forward, I have just enabled diagnostics on your account so we can try get a sense as to what could be causing tracks to skip on your setup. When your core machine comes online next this action will generate/upload a diagnostics report directly to our servers which will contain a fresh set of Roon logs. Once I have received the mentioned report I will confirm that it has been downloaded and pass over to our tech team ASAP for investigation.

-Eric

Ok great - restarting Roon now - has been skipping tracks this morning :frowning:

Removed the Uptone Regen - looks like it’s working but won;t know for a little while

Hi @Robin ----- Thank you for touching base and sharing this latest observation with me, very appreciated!

Moving forward, I wanted to touch base and see how things have been holding since you removed the Uptone Regen from the chain of communication. Furthermore, out of curiosity because I know you had ran the same test previously. Was there anything different between this test run and the last?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I reintroduced the UpTone and everything seems fine. It’s so wonky I can’t figure out why it only happens occasionally, but once it starts to skip tracks there’s no fix but to restart the core. A few questions:
Can you keep diagnostics running on my system or are there diagnostics I can rum myself?
Can you by chance tell me the best settings for my environment? I don’t use headphones. See current settings attached

QNAP NAS , Mac Mini, UpTone Regen, Hegel H160 paired with Verity Rienzi’s
I use the UpTone to correct the USB coming out of the MacMini (if you have other suggestions for this I’m all ears, I have been looking an an Auralic Aries or a Mutec MC+3

).

Hi @Robin ---- Thank you for touching base with me and apologies for the slow response.

A few things moving forward. Please see below.

Can you keep diagnostics running on my system or are there diagnostics I can rum myself?

• Unfortunately there is nothing that you can “run yourself” in regard to diagnostics. We enable diagnostics when a problem occurs so we can get try to gain an understanding of the issue.

Can you by chance tell me the best settings for my environment? I don’t use headphones. See current settings attached

QNAP NAS , Mac Mini, UpTone Regen, Hegel H160 paired with Verity Rienzi’s
I use the UpTone to correct the USB coming out of the MacMini (if you have other suggestions for this I’m all ears, I have been looking an an Auralic Aries or a Mutec MC+3

• These types of questions are always a bit “tough” (:innocent:) as everyone engages in listening to music differently. What I may think sounds outstanding may sound horrible to another person, and vice versa. In my most honest and humble opinion I would recommend starting a new thread in the Roon software thread to address “settings” and gear related questions. This is the section of the community site where a lot users chime in to share their feedback in regard to setup configurations and the settings being used. Checking out the Audio products thread may be of use to you as well. You can see what others are saying about products that you may be interested in acquiring.

-Eric