Roon skips all tracks one by one when I start to play my TIDAL

Roon Core Machine

MacBook Air (Apple M1, 2020, 16GB RAM)
Roon: version 1.8 (build 1021)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Mac(roon installed)—>USB—> ifi ZEN DAC —> HiFi Stereo Power Amplifier(Lepy) —> Passive Speakers
I use Ethernet.

Library

TIDAL

Description of Issue

I live in Tokyo, Japan.
I successfully contracted with TIDAL and connected TIDAL and roon.
I can recognize that TIDAL is connected and signed in through roon on “Settings—> Services”.
Of course, I can see all library from my TIDAL account on roon desktop app.

And, ifi ZEN DAC is set as CoreAudio on “Settings—> Audio” . I would like to share my Device setup screenshot as attached.

But, roon skips all tracks one by one until the end of the album, when I start to play an album of TIDAL.
Please help me to settle the right settings and listen to my TIDAL library.

Thank you very much for your kind support.

Roon skipping through tracks is most of the time an indication of network issues.

That said, can you confirm if TIDAL plays fine outside of Roon and are you on a paid or free TIDAL subscription?

I suggest you click on “Not your device?” then. You can try and identify the device again, please choose the one you actually have, or leave it as unidentified if your device is not in the list. This might help.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, as you said, I pay for HiFi Plus subscription course every month.
And, TIDAL app plays fine on my Mac outside of Roon…

Thank you for your advice.
I tried to take actions according to your advice, but it doesn’t work…

Thank you for correcting that misconfiguration, it’s good to know that this potential source of problems no longer exists.

It might be helpful if you could share more information and do some troubleshooting to help narrow down the source of your issue:

• Can you please confirm that you updated your system to the latest stable release of Roon (Roon 1.8 (Build 1105) is Live!).
  • Is there some content you can play with Roon (for example: files you own, internet radio stations, other streaming services)?
  • Is the playback of content from Tidal always failing for you or only sometimes?
  • Is there some message being displayed when Roon skips the files (if yes, please share it’s contents)?
  • Can you successfully play Tidal content on other output devices (for example: the built-in speakers of your MacBook)?
  • Can you share pictures of your Tidal configuration (Settings|Services) in Roon as well as from your signal path (both failing if possible as well as successful playback attempts)?

Thank you very much for your prompt reply and additional questions.
I would like to answer to your questions in line as follows.

• Can you please confirm that you updated your system to the latest stable release of Roon (Roon 1.8 (Build 1105) is Live! ).
    → Yes, I updated.

• Is there some content you can play with Roon (for example: files you own, internet radio stations, other streaming services)?
    → I’m afraid but nothing…I tried to play other internet radio etc, but it didn’t work.

• Is the playback of content from Tidal always failing for you or only sometimes?
    → Always.

• Is there some message being displayed when Roon skips the files (if yes, please share it’s contents)?
    → Nothing is displayed.

• Can you successfully play Tidal content on other output devices (for example: the built-in speakers of your MacBook)?
    → It also didn’t work through other output devices ( Mac speakers ).

• Can you share pictures of your Tidal configuration (Settings|Services ) in Roon as well as from your signal path (both failing if possible as well as successful playback attempts)?
    → Yes, here they are.

I was able to take a snapshot of Signal Path, while roon are skipping tracks one by one.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Best regards,

As for now, it looks like you are unable to play anything using Roon. It still would be good to test if you can play local files from your harddisk though. If you don’t have any CD rips, I’m sure you can find some (test) tracks that are freely and legally available on the internet for download. This might help to determine if you’re only unable to play from internet sources (firewall issue, issue with ISP, other network related issue). If even the playback from local files fails, it might be an issue with your Roon installation or your platform (MacBook). Meanwhile you might also want to take a look into:

See if you can spot anything that might be related/relevant to your setup.

Hi @tamellica,

I’m sorry you’re having issues but I think it’s something we can overcome.

Please take a look at the information BlackJack provided if you would. In addition to that, if you could power up your core and leave it on, I will be able to enable diagnostics and take a deeper dive into what could be happening here.

Thanks,
Wes

Thank you very much for your support.

OK, I will keep my core on from now on.
Please diagnose my core.

Best regards,

Sounds like exact the problem I had, started some versions ago. When running Windows 10 and RME ASIO-driver and a RME-DAC connected by USB I had the same problem. When running WASAPI, no problem. The problem was intermittent, worked sometimes and sometimes not… Replaced my W10 machine with a NUC and Roon ROCK, no problem anymore. The problem I had, I think, was a problem with the RME ASIO-driver and RoonCore, I did not have the patience to search for a solution, I switched hardware instead.

1 Like

Hi @tamellica,

Thanks for letting us know. I will look over your logging with our team today and get back to you.

Wes

@tamellica,

In looking at your logs with my team as well as Roon’s development team, we’re seeing clock sync errors.

09/11 01:05:56 Warn: [Mac] [zoneplayer/raat] failed to sync sender clock to endpointMacBook Airのスピーカー: Sooloos.Broker.Transport.ClockSyncResult

This is happening on all of your devices. Are you able to play to something via AirPlay or Chromecast? Please let me know.

The other possibility is that there is some form of VPN or managed switching at play. Are you using a VPN?

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

Thank you very much for your kind support and diagnosis.

I played through USB cable from Mac ( Roon Core ) to DAC, and didn’t use AirPlay nor Chromecast.
Also, I don’t use VPN.

Best regards,

@tamellica,

Does it show up as an option under other network devices? (Settings>Audio). If so, can you enable it, select it as a zone, and play a track successfully?

Another thing I found that might be relevant and super easy to try. Can you follow the steps in this video to see what things look like?

Thanks,
Wes

OK. I am out of home, and I will try it later.
Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.