Roon skips songs over and over again

Roon Core Machine

Core: iMac 27 inches, end 2015, i7 4 cores, 64 GB,
Library in an external disc with high read/write speeds.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Core connected to ethernet 10GB
Clients connected with ethernet and with wifi

Connected Audio Devices

Mac Pro 2019 connected with ethernet.
Qutest connected to mac pro with usb
Headset amp Solaris
Other devices: ipad, iphone, homepod connected to same network with wifi

Number of Tracks in Library

251.000 tracks

Description of Issue

When I hit play on a song or an album, system will indicate “Playing x tracks” staying a few seconds “thinking”. Suddenly it will start jumping/skipping from one song to the other until the end of the CD tracks. Sometimes this behaviour will repeat over and over again. Sometimes it will play one of the album tracks (not the first one, but another one down in the CD track sequence).
Closing Roon and rebooting it sometimes fixes this issue.
This is happening with all kind of file formats. A CD that gives a problem now will not have any problem after a while.
This is happening playing songs directly from the core ( I can access it remotely) or trying to play songs from a client (my second mac or iphone, ipad, etc).
This is a problem that never happened to me with 1.7 and now is constant.
Your support will be much appreciated
Thanks
Albert

1 Like

Hey @Albert_Redrado,

Thank you for taking some time to describe the issue you’ve been running into - it doesn’t seem to leave much room for enjoying music. So sorry about that :pensive:

Your library, about 250k tracks, is of a significant size. Could you please clarify if your external disc is an HDD or an SSD?

Do you use any streaming services? If you do, is this issue happening when streaming music, or just with your local libary.

Does this happen when you stream to any of your zones? Could you please try playing a few tracks to System Output (not a different zone)? Do you still experience it?

Thanks in advance :pray:

1 Like

Hi Rebeka
External disk is an HDD.
The issue also happens with streaming services (Qobuz)
It happens with all zones. With System Output directly it is also happening
Thanks for your support
Yours
Albert

Hey @Albert_Redrado,

I appreciate you answering every question I asked - thanks!

We’d love to take a closer look at this, so I was wondering, could you please:

• restart your iMac
  • launch Roon
  • start playing music (in an attempt to repeat the skipping of tracks)
  • if it happens, please, write down the local date and time
  • grab a set of logs, using these instructions
  • zip them up and please upload them here

Please, reply to this thread, letting us know of the timestamp (local date and time) and the logs upload.

Many thanks in advance :pray:

Hi all,
exactly the same with roon and my library on an iMac octacore maxed out with 128GB/2Tb/8Tb/64Tb. The problem exists since late. 2020
Library size is 751k tracks. Actually I deleted all synced folders and resync all folders for relocation. Should be done tomorrow. I will post if it helped.

1 Like

This happened to me the other day. Restarted the app and it hasn’t happened again.

1 Like

Dear Rebeka
I have rebooted the core as advised. For several hours it has worked well. This morning error has come again when playing a track from my Mac Pro as client of the iMac core. This has taken place at 10.09 CET. I have uploaded both the logs of the core and of the client in case it could help.
Thank you very much for your support
Albert

Thanks so much :pray:

I’ve looped in our technical team so they can take a look at the logs. Thanks for the timestamp :pray:

1 Like

Hello @Albert_Redrado ,

Thank you for sending those logs over. It looks like your Core is running out of file descriptors. Can you please confirm if you have many apps open in the background? Is the behavior the same with only Roon open?

Can you please navigate to the following path in your Roon Database Location and let us know how large this file is Roon/Database/Core/USERID/broker_2.db/ . You can click on this broker_2.db folder and press File -> Get Info in MacOS to see the file size. Thanks!

Good morning Noris
At the time I was running Daisy Disk which is a program that gives you information about your disk capacity and saturation. Besides Chrome, no more apps where executed. This core is used mainly for Roon.
About the broker_2.db folder size (sitting in /Users/albert imac/Library/Roon/Database/Core/29a9f00e599d4a14a4eadd215373edff) is 4,53GB.
Please let me know if there is any other thing that I can do to help

P.D. At 8:47 CET with only Roon and Chrome opened, the system has behaved again skipping songs
I have uploaded this latest log to dropbox Dropbox - Logs_core_redradoa@mac.com.zip - Simplify your life
Also I would like to highlight that, every time that I close and open Roon again, I get this message:

Best regards
Albert

1 Like

Hello @Albert_Redrado ,

Thank you for letting us know the broker_2.db size and for sending a new log set. We are consulting with our QA team regarding your case, as soon as we have their analysis of your issue, we will reach out again. Thank you in advance for your patience here!

Good morning
I remain waiting for your feedback
Thanks
Albert

Hello @Albert_Redrado ,

Thank you for your patience here! I did get a chance to speak to the QA team regarding your case here and I have a few notes to share:

1. Can you please verify if you are still having playback issues if you set up a fresh Roon database? Since you are using a Mac, you can use the following instructions to do so:
  • Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup
  1. QA has noticed that there are several logs where Roon is importing Tags and this may be related to the issue. Do you have RoonAlbumTag or RoonTrackTags on the majority of your library? How many tags do you use?

Let us know when possible, thank you!

Dear Noris
I have followed your advice and system is behaving well. I have decided not to recover the backup. Is it possible to do a partial backup recovery of only my playlists?
Thanks
Albert

1 Like

Hi @Albert_Redrado ,

Glad to hear that the system is behaving well now.

If these are TIDAL / Qobuz or iTunes playlists, then you can re-import them, but if you created them within Roon, they would be tied to the previous database. There is no way to do a partial restore, unfortunately.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.