Roon slower than other programs on my PC

Roon software is extremely slow. All other programs on my PC works normally (internet and local programs). If I select a new page, if I minimize, if I select a number/record to listen to it takes some 30-60 seconds. I have clicked on the open program before I started this text and the page is not up yet. When I restarted my PC it seemed as if the Roon was doing an update but I am not sure. What to do …?
Thanks
Nils

Hi Nils,

What type of computer do you have ? Can you tell us the CPU and the size of your library ?
Do things improve if you reboot your computer ?
Is Windows trying to do an update ? That can slow things down.
Has Roon finished analysing your library ? You can tell if this is still occuring as there will be spinning circle in the top right of the screen that reports on progress if you mouse over it.

My library has many, many thousands of albums and Roon is pretty much instantaneous in response.

Things to check for yourself

• Core meets Roon’s minimum spec (CPU, RAM, storage)
  • Core wired or wireless
  • endpoint wired or wireless
  • WiFi signal strength?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
I have a i7 PC with windows 10, 8GB ram and two 2TB HDD’s and one 2TB NAS. I have a Mytek Manhattan II to play music through. All are wire connected. Roon was installed some months ago and it did analyse my library at that time.
The speed of the Roon is now better but I had to restart the PC 3 times; no sure why. Just to let you know I (after I waited some minutes for Roon to respond) was able to start playing music from my library and this worked also at the time when Roon didn’t respond at all?
Can I bother you with other matters? When Roon was responding again I tried to look at the settings. Found two odd things:
a. Roon has found the Mytek and I listen to music but at the settings/audio section is a message that the Mytek is uncertified. What is this?
b. In the settings/library there is the “Background Audio Analysis Speed” and there is ma rotating circle indicating that it is working on this. But the counter does not change rom zero - always shows 0/5697.
Thanks
Nils

You didn’t mention SSD as HDD, so that there will be your key bottleneck in respect of Roon’s performance. It’s database is huge and complex, so it needs the fastest storage you can get

Re a. I presume it means the DAC is not certified Roon Ready
Re b. Are you running the latest version of Roon and does the machine have internet access? Set background analysis to off, then go back in and set it to background or whatever you prefer. That should kick it off again, but I’ve not seen this behaviour in a long time hence my question re version.

I’m probably way off here but what’s your controller? Is it the Windows PC? If so, do you have a tablet you can try? Just wondering if it’s the GUI that’s slow or Roon itself. If the former, are you using Intel HD graphics? There’s known problems with these graphics controllers on Windows which could be responsible.

Thanks again. Are you stating that Roon cannot run on a PC with HDD? It worked when I installed it?
Re a. The DAC should be Roon ready as I bought the additional board for the DAC that handles this. The settings page states (not sure how to attach a picture):
Networked (these devices have been found on the network)
roon ready
Mytek Manhattan II DAC
So I would assume that Roon can “see” it as ready?
Re b: I have version 1.4 (build 300) - the page states I have latest.

To dhusky: Yes the controller is the Windows PC. I am not sure why a “bad” GUI is working normally on everything else on my PC than Roon?

Thanks
Nils

It’ll run, but poorly. Re Roon Ready, best we rope in @support

If you go into settings then library can you turn off background audio analysis speed, see if this improves Roon performance, whilst I agree having the db on a hdd will not be as snappy as an ssd it should still be usable.

Hi @Nils_Jensen ----- Thank you for the report and the PM. I have moved this thread over to the support section of the community site.

Moving forward, I want to address the points you have made in your posts to offer some insight:

1. In regard to the device currently hosting your core:

Roon software is extremely slow. All other programs on my PC works normally (internet and local programs).”

"I have a i7 PC with windows 10, 8GB ram and two 2TB HDD’s and one 2TB NAS. The speed of the Roon is now better but I had to restart the PC 3 times; no sure why.

• I agree with the comments made by the other user’s in this thread that your DB really should be hosted on a SSD drive as this is part of our minimum requirements. While I understand that things have been working since you first installed the application, as your library grows the potential to be start seeing issue with performance will increase. Our CTO wrote up a very informative post about what the Roon experience “could/should be like” with the proper equipment hosting a Roon core.
  1. “Mytek Manhattan II - Roon Ready”:

"The DAC should be Roon ready as I bought the additional board for the DAC that handles this.

• I just checked our “partner device matrix” where we list all of our Roon tested and Roon Ready devices, the Manhattan II isn’t listed on the page. In light of this I have placed feedback request with our DEV team to verify what the “expectation” should be here in regard to the Manhattan II.

-Eric

See Slowness on Windows 10 after Windows Update KB4013429 for where I was coming from with that line of questions.