Roon Slowness - Synology 1817+

I’ve got what sounds like exactly the same problem running Roon on a Synology 1817+
As soon as I add Qobuz, I’m seeing the same problems as you.

1 Like

Hello @Thorsten_Vieth,

What is you network setup like? Can you please let me know the model/manufacturer of all your networking gear? Just to make sure that I understand you here – if you are experiencing Qobuz slowness and the only change you make is to disable Qobuz in Roon Settings -> Services, all of your searches then load quickly?

Thanks,
Noris

Hello Noris,

my network setup is very simple consisting of pretty much of a mesh network over 4 Google WiFi pods.

• WAN: Google WiFi pod as router, connected to fibre broadband access point with 300Mbps speed
  • Synology 1817+ connected to second Google WiFi pod via high quality cable
  • 2 more Google WiFi pods in different locations in the house in increase coverage to second floor
  • All Roon endpoints (1 Devialet, 2 BlueSound) connected via WiFi

Yes, you are correct. Search becomes extremely slow up to the point where a search result doesn’t even come back anymore at all. Once I then disable Qobuz in Roon Settings so I only search my local files, search becomes snappy as usual.

Rebooting Roon Core sometimes seems to help, but it could also be entirely unrelated. Just now, I restarted Roon Server with Qobuz still disabled, then enabled it after the server was back up. Search is OK now but still takes a couple of seconds.

Just experience the same problem again.
With Qobuz enabled, a search did not return a result for more than 4 hours.
I’ve stopped it, disabled Qobuz, and did the same search again.
Search result of local library returned within a second.
Something is off with Qobuz.

Hi @Thorsten_Vieth,

Thanks for letting me know that info. I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

– Noris

Hi @Thorsten_Vieth,

Thank you for your patience while our technical team has been looking into this issue for you.

I spoke with our team regarding their evaluation of the logs from your install. Sometimes, errors like the one you saw can be spurious, but unfortunately in this case they are seeing signs of low level corruption in your database.

This type of error is extremely rare for us and not one that we see often. Our database infrastructure is designed specifically to prevent this type of corruption, and we don’t take this class of issue lightly.

We’ve traced a few reports like this in the past to hard drive integrity issues but generally speaking, this means that Roon is reading information from your hard drive that is different from what was originally written, and the database is now unable to load properly.

What’s Next?

If you’ve been making regular backups, my advice would be to install Roon fresh on your Core machine, and roll back to one of your backups. If the database loads properly, your edits, playlists, tags, etc should be intact, and we can confirm everything is performing properly once it’s been restored.

If you do not have any backups, unfortunately you will need to start with a fresh database.

Again, this class of issue is extremely rare for us and you have our apologies for the trouble here.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,

thanks for the update. Backups should have run automatically, and I’ll check once I get home. How far back do you think I should be going with the backup?

I assume if I go back quite a bit, albums that weren’t present at the time will simply be picked up by the next folder scan and only possible metadata edits I made will not make it over, right?

Please let me know and I’ll work on this later.

Thanks, Thorsten

Hi @Thorsten_Vieth,

I am looking over the diagnostics again and I see that the corruption traces started at the latest on 3/27/19. I say the latest because this is only how far our Roon logs were saved before they got automatically written over again, so it is possible that this behavior started before that date.

Yes, this would be correct, if the media files are in the same watched folders then they will be picked up and re-imported automatically again but your edits will not make it over after the backup is restored, you will have to recreate them.

Once you have restored the a backup from before 3/27/19, you can let me know and I can check the new database for any possible signs of trouble. I would also possibly make a copy of the backups to another location just to ensure that the oldest one does not get automatically written over in case you need to go further back.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,

I’ve uninstalled the Roon core component from my Synology and did a fresh install. My backups reached back to end of last year. For DB recovery I picked a backup from end of February. The recovery completed with a success message. Then restarted both core and remote for good measure.

Made a few tweaks to settings and device setup to get back to previous status. I am currently listening again to music without problem so far. I’ve also added Qobuz again as a service to Roon. Search still is working fine. A bit slower with Qobuz activated than only searching local files, but that’s to be expected.

Please go ahead and check if my new database is looking trouble-free from your end. If possible, I’d like to get some pointers what could have caused this database issue, so that I can maybe prevent it in the future.

Thanks,
Thorsten

Hi @Thorsten_Vieth,

Thank you for restoring the backup and for confirming that it was successful. I have not seen any new reports come in for your Core after the switch, this is likely due to diagnostics mode being active on the previous Roon instance, but I have gone ahead and re-enabled this feature for the new configuration as well. Once the Core is active again, it should automatically upload a new diagnostics report and I can take a look.

As for your question on how to best prevent similar issues in the future – generally speaking, this type of corruption occurs when Roon reads data on the hard drive than what was originally written to the drive. It’s hard to know what could specifically cause this, but hardware failures or power outages are common culprits that we’ve seen. I am not sure if you live in an area prone to power surges/outages, but I would make sure that the Core has a stable power input at all times if possible and that you power if off in a clean way.

I will be sure to reach out to you once the report comes in for the new configuration and I have taken a look, but it might be best to leave this config run for a few days just to confirm that things are still stable and I can check again then.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris, just a few more pieces of info for you:

• Went into library maintenance and had about 4000 deleted files indicated to me. Removed those references from the library now. Not aware that I had deleted this many files at the time.
  • Did a force rescan of my library folder, which consists of about 160k tracks. The scan counted up to more than 300k files (!) before it stopped. Not sure that indicates a problem, but wanted to let you know.

Hi @Thorsten_Vieth,

Thanks for letting me know that information, your second point does sound strange if you only have 160k tracks.

I have been keeping an eye out for a diagnostics report from the new setup, but unfortunately it looks like they are not being delivered to our diagnostics servers.

Can I please ask you to use first reboot your Core and then use these instructions to manually send me a copy of the logs from your Synology via a shared Dropbox/Google Drive/Firefox Send link?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,

will sent you a link to Dropbox via PM.

Best, Thorsten

1 Like

Hi @Thorsten_Vieth,

Thank you for sending those log files over. I have taken a look in them and I do not see any more traces of corruption at this time, it looks as expected now.

I believe the 300k file scanning may have been background files such as images or possibly hidden files, so I would not worry too much about this unless the scan never completed.

Before I go ahead and mark this thread as solved, I just want to confirm one last time with you that Roon still appears to be functioning as normal. Once I have the :+1: from you I will go ahead and close this thread out.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,

yes, I confirm that as of now, Roon is back to its former glory and everything works as expected.
Thank you very much for all you help. Much appreciated!!!

Best, Thorsten

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.