Roon sounds like white noise

Roon Server Machine

Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 2009 (build 19045.3803)
1.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-1065G7
16 GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ARRIS Surfboard G36 combo modem/router (Ethernet connection to router)
Note: This is two weeks old. I bought it thinking that the old modem/router was the problem. I get more than 600 Mbps download speed.

Connected Audio Devices

Nucleus
Western Digital My Passport Ultra SSD
Krell K-300i (Ethernet connection to router)

Number of Tracks in Library

19,524 tracks

Description of Issue

I’ve been having problems with Roon in that when I launch Roon on my laptop and play a song, it sounds like white noise or like it’s playing in slow motion. This happens fairly frequently. I’m on Roon daily and this happens at least a couple of times a month. Rebooting the Nucleus and my cable/router usually fixes this, but I know that is not a permanent solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you happen to be trying to play back DSD format tracks?

No, I am not.

Why are you running Roon server on windows 10 when you have a nuclueus? Or am I misunderstanding what you have written?

I am assuming he is running his server as the Nucleus and he is just using Roon as a control point on his laptop. But, it would be good to clarify that and his whole audio chain. I am assuming he is choosing the music on his laptop, the Roonserver is then sending via ethernet to his Krell.

It might be of interest to support to know the specifics of the music being played when one of these episodes occurs. it might be a clue, like,

Streaming vs local

or

FLAC vs DSD

or

Any upsampling, volume leveling or other DSP going on?

1 Like

Correct, the server is the Nucleus and I’m just using Roon as a control point on my laptop.

Audio chain:

-Nucleus connected via ethernet to router/modem

-SSD connected to Nucleus via USB

-Krell connected via ethernet to router/modem

-Windows 10 laptop as control point connected via WiFi

-Tidal is the streaming source

Roon version 2.0 (build 1353) production (64bit)

Roon Server version 2.0 (build 1353) production

Episodes can occur when streaming or playing local files.

I only stream FLAC. Local files are either FLAC or MP3.

No upsampling, volume leveling or other DSP going on.

1 Like

Do you get the white noise issue if you play to a Zone that has been set up using your laptop speakers? If not, then it’s possibly something to do with the RAAT implementation in your Krell. Do Krell issue firmware updates for their products?

I do not beleive it is isolated to the Krell, but will try a different zone the next time it happens.

I am running the latest version of the Krell software, V1.04 Jun 8 2022.

Better yet, set up a zone with your laptop speakers and group it with the Krell zone, so you can check right away when it happens again.

3 Likes

Excellent idea! Must remember that…

I have negative confidence for this.

If you don’t have another USB drive, Safely remove and disconnect the SSD (this is important), and play only from Tidal.

Peter, that’s a good idea, just to troubleshoot.

But come on guys, this isn’t rocket science. Here we have a Nucleus, connected to the Krell amp via Ethernet. How could this be anything other than the firmware in the Krell acting up? Probably happens when the track has a different resolution or format from the preceding track.

David, see if this happens on something other than the Krell, to check.

A hardware fault (including the USB cable) can also cause something like this.

The USB cable connecting the hard drive to the Nucleus? I don’t see what the failure modes would be there, that would cause these symptoms.

Nevertheless, good idea to simplify the problem as much as possible to isolate the possible causes, so removing the hard drive is still indicated.

I have physically disconnected the SSD from the Nucleus and removed it from Storage in Roon. Since this issue is intermittent and not reproducible on demand, I’ll monitor. If it reoccurs, I will change the zone to play it from my laptop speakers. I also have Roon on an iPod so I can play through a Bluetooth speaker and will test that as well if the issue appears again.

BTW, I have a wav file of the sound if it would help the diagnoses, but I do not see a way to upload it to the ticket. It sounds like white noise and you can very faintly hear the song playing in the background.

Thanks for everyone’s input so far.

After following the steps I outlined previously, the issue reoccurred. I switched the sound output from the Krell to the laptop speakers and the same white noise was heard. To me, this eliminates the SSD and the Krell as the problem. I recently purchased a new and better modem/router, so I think we can rule that out too.

1 Like

Hi @David_Proud,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and for your patience so far! Could you please reproduce the issue and share the specific date, time and name of the track playing when the issue occurs?

Once you let me know this info, I’ll go ahead and enable diagnostics for your account so I can review the logging for clues.

If you’d rather do it yourself manually, please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

After that, lets refresh your RAATServer settings. You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new RAATServer

Thanks! :+1:

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for your reply. I cannot reproduce the issue at will, as it is intermittent and not something I can control. However, I determined over the weekend that the issue is with the Krell. I also learned from my audio equipment supplier, who also has a Krell and Nucleus and runs Roon, that he has experienced the same issue. He made Krell aware of the issue and is following up with them. Please let me know if you still want me to provide you with the date, time and name of the track once it happens again.

Thanks,

David

I thought you’d tested that and ruled it out?

I thought I had too, but when the it happened again, I first unplugged the Krell and then plugged it back in and everything played fine. I then contacted my audio guy who said it’s happened to him. Very frustrating when you pay a sizable amount of money for an audio device that you need to reboot once a month. Reminds me of old versions of Windows. Shouldn’t be that way. Appreciate your interest and input, Bill.

David

2 Likes