RAAT [was Roon Speakers] - What , When, How and for Whom?

It goes to show how many different things are being discussed when nobody has questioned the whole RAAT [was RoonSpeakers] concept!

Would anyone care to elaborate (or speculate) ?!

Cheers

I’ve been begging @brian to write a blog post about UPnP, AirPlay, RoonSpeakers, etc, but he’s been so busy getting the product ready for release.

I’m sure when he has a bit of time, he will write the most awesome description of the state of audio streaming across the board.

1 Like

I am begging @brian too. I want to know more about RoonSpeakers and how I should be using RoonSpeakers instead of the limited options* (*in one way or the other.)

Does this mean that I can expect a RoonSpeakers software piece to install on my HTPC (connected to my DAC) in my living room, as a streaming target from my Roon Server ? Controlled with Roon Remote on my iOS or laptop ?

That could be very interresting.

Yes. That is part of the plan.

“And they have a plan.”

:smile:

Rik

1 Like

Roon Speakers is yet to be released, but when I initially had Roon installed on my desktop, when I clicked the little purple dot that shows the signal path it showed the source file and outputting to “RoonSpeakesr”. I changed my core server so it no longer shows that, been wondering why it was showing that before.

1 Like

Sure, we use the RoonSpeakers streaming protocol to move streams to private zones. It’s been a sort of test bed for the technology.

I tried this out, setting up a computer with private zone to my dac to test, and must say the RoonSpeakers worked like a charm. Looking forward to RoonSpeakers release.

Me want too … Where can I get the RoonSpeaker ???

Right now it’s only available as part of Roon when running as a remote – if you have Roon running in your home, other Mac’s and PCs (and soon Android!) in the house can run as a remote.

These remotes will use the library from your main Roon install, but will have their own “private zone”, which is using the RoonSpeakers protocol under the hood.

Ultimately, we expect to integrate the protocol into all sorts of devices, and to allow for our users to run it stand alone on a variety of platforms, but as @brian mentioned, right now the remote is the only place you can see it in action… for now!

Expect more updates soon guys!

Ok, If I have 1 Core, and 2 remotes ( one is the sound target, the second is my laptop) kan I use my laptop as remote control to stream to sound target ?

@MIke - At the moment I have a PC (for arguments sake, lets call it a Windows 7 build) that won’t run as a remote because of the graphics considerations. In future should this device be able to work as a Roon Speaker device, without the need to change the hardware?

Thanks

In future should this device be able to work as a Roon Speaker device, without the need to change the hardware?

Yes, that’s the plan.

1 Like

Fantastic!

@gmt – trying to find time to squeeze this in, but I want to get a headless Roon built for that situation :slight_smile:

[quote=“mike, post:11, topic:290”]
These remotes will use the library from your main Roon install, but will have their own “private zone”, which is using the RoonSpeakers protocol under the hood.[/quote]
More playing around with Core and Remote PC’s…

When running a REMOTE instance of Roon where a DAC is connected to this REMOTE instance, will we always see RoonSpeakers as the last link instead of the the DAC Driver? And does RoonSpeakers always show the PURPLE dot?

Why Do I ask? With this Same PC as a CORE, the DAC Driver would be shown as the last item in the processing chain, and the Yellow/Green/Purple would be GREEN.

Just curious…

Right now, RoonSpeakers is the endpoint, so yes, its perfect to RoonSpeakers… but RoonSpeakers has the ability to know what it is speaking to, so we need to add an extra unit at the end.

It’s coming with the real release of RoonSpeakers…

Can manufacturers have access to become a roon Speakers device endpoint?
And if so, where do they get the code, API, protocol?
What are the advantages compared to other protocols like AirPlay, Meridian MQA, RTSP, DLNA,UPNP?
Any royalty orother cost?

Assuming that Apple opens up the Apple TV (i.e. App Store) at some point, is a Roon Speakers app on the cards? I’m guessing that this would allow some decent audio at native rates, rather than everything being re-sampled to 48k via Airplay.