Roon Speed Issues

Roon Core Machine

Running a Mac mini as a dedicated server.
Mac Mini Late 2014, i7 2.8Ghz Dual Core CPU, 16Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Hard-wired Gigabit LAN using Ubiquiti switch.

Connected Audio Devices

Sonore Ultra Rendu connected to USB of Marantz NA-11S1 DAC.

Number of Tracks in Library

65,000 tracks, of which 70% are via Qobuz streaming.

Description of Issue

I have had on-going issues with Roon being very slow to add new albums to the library (can take up to a minute or more) as well as the interface generally being slow to search for albums, change screens, etc.

I have this issue on all of my Roon clients, including a new MacBook Air M1, iPad Pro, iPhone etc. It seems that my hardware specifications should be more than sufficient for my library, so I’m not sure what the issue is.

I do use upscaling to DSD128, which my Marantz supports natively, but turning the DSP off doesn’t seem to help the UI speed issue.

With proper configuration and clean data, this should still be quite fast in this database size and available technology. The Roon team will be back in the community starting Monday to follow the threads.

Perhaps some initial notes/questions:

Are the few local data well supplied with metadata hardly identifiable? That could be a brake.

Another brake is iPv6 in the router, computer or other network devices. Roon works smoother and faster with IPv4.

As in new albums from Qobuz, or, new albums of local content? Or both?

I seldom buy new albums these days, so it is almost exclusively when adding new albums from Qobuz

Hey @Rowan,

Thanks a lot for getting in touch to share some of the ways you’re experiencing Roon, for engaging with our community and for your incredible patience while we got a chance to reply. We’re sorry it’s been this long… :pensive:

I wonder if anything has changed since about three weeks ago? Are you still experiencing the same slowness?

If so, could you please change your Router’s DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS?