Roon spinning non-stop

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
KINGDELL
WIN 10
1.7 BUILD 10

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
ASUS ROUTER, CAT 7

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
ROUTER > CAT 7 > MICRO RENDU > DAC1 USB

Description Of Issue
Roon has been spinning non-stop for many hours. It is extremely slow.
It says applying library settings - what settings, why, who asked it to do this, how do I fix it?

Restarting Roon Server will probably solve your issue.

I have done this 3 times, it works for a while and eventually it choke’s. Sometimes I can go a day or so - fast worry free - but most days it is a real struggle. I really want to love ROON but so far not so much. Please let me know how to get Roon to be fast and worry free. This is my 3rd core machine. I also purchased a sonictransporter (core #4) that has been a brick from day one. I have waited 22 days for your QA team to test my db. still waiting. I do not understand why roon is so difficult to get working hassle free. Please help me.

David, have you asked @support to help you?

Hello @David_Haaf, my apologies for the trouble here. Is your core connected directly to the router via Ethernet? Also, what’s the size of your library?

Hi Nuwriy,

1. Core is connected directly to my router via eathernet cable

2. My library is; 13 TB, 31,724 Albums, 405,570 Tracks

Any solution yet?

I have been waiting 1 month so far…

Thanks,
Dave

Hello @David_Haaf, I found your ticket with Noris and the QA team and will ask for an update, my apologies for the delay. For this issue, I’d like you to:

• Reboot your Core machine.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  • Reboot your Core machine once more.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

This should allow the team to gain some insight into what you’re experiencing in the report. Once you’ve done this let me know the timestamps and I’ll enable diagnostics on your account. When the diagnostics report is uploaded I’ll send it over to our team for analysis.

1st reboot 1:27 server start, white screen with black icon until 1:31 app opens but music will not play until 1:32 is starts playing. Play music and browse library until 1:40.
2nd reboot 1:42 server start, white screen with black icon until 1:46 app opens but music will not play until 1:47 all times are PST

Tried playing music, it starts, stops, start, stops… at 2:02 I gave up on Roon and went back to playing CD’s (as in disc’s loaded into my Oppo BDP-205 CD player) the only reliable device I have.
Now this roon reply box is spinning - will not send my reply?

Roon is really frustrating me to no end. Please help me.

Thank you,
Dave

Hi, do you have any information for me?

It has been over 6 weeks for case #1 (sonictransport core) and 1 week for kingdel core

My patience is running low, why so long to get help?

Thank you, anyone know where tmp & cache are in windows?

I am so tired of looking at a white screen with a black logo and no music to listen to…

Hi Nuwrity,

I continue to have problems with Roon. How can I get my core machine to work consistently well?

Many hours of white screen with spinning logo or playing and skips tracks with error messages.

I am back to playing CD’s on my Oppo CD Player :frowning:

Problems persist, please help.

there is a user that reported he had the same issue, he did switched from SMB to NFS.
I had the same issue (Linux core) switched to NFS and it is working since like 2 hours ago I made the change.

If your storage is remote you may give it a try and switch to NFS, 667 looks to have sort of an SMB issue.
Looks kind of painful for windows users: https://graspingtech.com/mount-nfs-share-windows-10/

Hello @David_Haaf, the QA team investigated your situation and found the following trace:

10/12 15:03:14 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting \\QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 4\Peggy Lee - The Centenary Albums Collection 1948-62 [4CD] (2020) [FLAC]\CD1\2. Peggy Lee With Dave Barbour & His Orch. - Why Don't You Do Right (Get Me Some Money Too).flac
10/12 15:03:14 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting \\QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 4\Peggy Lee - The Centenary Albums Collection 1948-62 [4CD] (2020) [FLAC]\CD1\20. Peggy Lee With Hal Mooney & His Orch. - I Never Knew.flac
10/12 15:03:16 Warn: [storage] [directory] Cannot iterate dir: '\\QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 1\Pink Floyd - Select Albums and Box Sets\Pink Floyd - 3 Box Sets (Dark Side, Wall, Wish..)\1973 - The Dark Side Of The Moon (2011 Remaster, 3CD+2DVD+Blu-ray, Immersion Edition, EMI, 5099902943121)\Disc 1 - CD - 2011 Remaster', ex: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: PathNotFound: \\QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 1\Pink Floyd - Select Albums and Box Sets\Pink Floyd - 3 Box Sets (Dark Side, Wall, Wish..)\1973 - The Dark Side Of The Moon (2011 Remaster, 3CD+2DVD+Blu-ray, Immersion Edition, EMI, 5099902943121)\Disc 1 - CD - 2011 Remaster
   at Sooloos.IO.FastDirectoryScanner._ThrowException(Int32 errorCode, String str)
   at Sooloos.IO.FastDirectoryScanner.Scan(String path, Boolean recurse, Predicate`1 cb_shouldskipdir)
   at Sooloos.Storage.DirectoryStorage._ScanDirectory(Boolean updatestatus, String scandirpath, Boolean recurse)
10/12 15:03:16 Warn: [storage] [directory] Cannot iterate dir: '\\QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 1\Aerosmith - 37 Albums (studio, live, compilations) + 8 Singles\2002 - O,Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits (tracks)\Aerosmith - O,Yeah Ultimate Aerosmith Hits 2002 FLAC-EAC\Aerosmith - O,Yeah Ultimate Aerosmith Hits 2002 [CD-01]', ex: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: PathNotFound: \\QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 1\Aerosmith - 37 Albums (studio, live, compilations) + 8 Singles\2002 - O,Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits (tracks)\Aerosmith - O,Yeah Ultimate Aerosmith Hits 2002 FLAC-EAC\Aerosmith - O,Yeah Ultimate Aerosmith Hits 2002 [CD-01]
   at Sooloos.IO.FastDirectoryScanner.Scan(String path, Boolean recurse, Predicate`1 cb_shouldskipdir)
   at Sooloos.Storage.DirectoryStorage._ScanDirectory(Boolean updatestatus, String scandirpath, Boolean recurse)
10/12 15:03:16 Warn: [storage] [directory] Cannot iterate dir: '\\QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 1\Aerosmith - 37 Albums (studio, live, compilations) + 8 Singles\2002 - O,Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits (tracks)\Aerosmith - O,Yeah Ultimate Aerosmith Hits 2002 FLAC-EAC\Aerosmith - O,Yeah Ultimate Aerosmith Hits 2002 [CD-02]', ex: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: PathNotFound: \\QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 1\Aerosmith - 37 Albums (studio, live, compilations) + 8 Singles\2002 - O,Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits (tracks)\Aerosmith - O,Yeah Ultimate Aerosmith Hits 2002 FLAC-EAC\Aerosmith - O,Yeah Ultimate Aerosmith Hits 2002 [CD-02]
10/12 15:03:16 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting \\QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 4\Peggy Lee - The Centenary Albums Collection 1948-62 [4CD] (2020) [FLAC]\CD1\21. Peggy Lee With Hal Mooney & His Orch. - What Can I Say After I Say I'm Sorry.flac
10/12 15:03:16 Warn: [storage] [directory] Cannot iterate dir: '\\QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 5\The Black Eyed Peas-Fergie - Discography (1998-2009) MP3 320kbps\The Black Eyed Peas - Complete Discography (iTunes Edition)\The Black Eyed Peas Discography (iTunes Edition)\Studio Albums\The Beginning (Super Deluxe Version)', ex: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: PathNotFound: \\QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 5\The Black Eyed Peas-Fergie - Discography (1998-2009) MP3 320kbps\The Black Eyed Peas - Complete Discography (iTunes Edition)\The Black Eyed Peas Discography (iTunes Edition)\Studio Albums\The Beginning (Super Deluxe Version)
10/12 15:03:16 Debug: [music/storage] queueing 1 mods for 8aa3a86a-dc36-4831-901e-f29d08bd47f3 (\ROON)

This seems to indicate that some of the folders in your storage are in a state that Roon is having an issue reading. Could you please check for the following albums and let me know if they’re present in Roon?

• \QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 1\Aerosmith - 37 Albums (studio, live, compilations) + 8 Singles\2002 - O,Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits (tracks)\Aerosmith - O,Yeah Ultimate Aerosmith Hits 2002 FLAC-EAC\Aerosmith - O,Yeah Ultimate Aerosmith Hits 2002 [CD-02]
  • \QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 1\Aerosmith - 37 Albums (studio, live, compilations) + 8 Singles\2002 - O,Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits (tracks)\Aerosmith - O,Yeah Ultimate Aerosmith Hits 2002 FLAC-EAC\Aerosmith - O,Yeah Ultimate Aerosmith Hits 2002 [CD-01]
  • \QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 4\Peggy Lee - The Centenary Albums Collection 1948-62 [4CD] (2020) [FLAC]
  • \QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 1\Pink Floyd - Select Albums and Box Sets\Pink Floyd - 3 Box Sets (Dark Side, Wall, Wish…)\1973 - The Dark Side Of The Moon (2011 Remaster, 3CD+2DVD+Blu-ray, Immersion Edition, EMI, 5099902943121)\Disc 1 - CD - 2011 Remaster
  • \QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 5\The Black Eyed Peas-Fergie - Discography (1998-2009) MP3 320kbps\The Black Eyed Peas - Complete Discography (iTunes Edition)\The Black Eyed Peas Discography (iTunes Edition)\Studio Albums\The Beginning (Super Deluxe Version)

4 of them are not in roon.

I found 1 in roon - peggy lee 4CD, but the path does not match what you listed.
The files are inside a folder named “Peggy Lee - 7 Albums”

Full Path >>>
\QNAP-TVS-951x\Audio\ROON\Music 4\Peggy Lee - 7 Albums\Peggy Lee - The Centenary Albums Collection 1948-62 [4CD] (2020)

Hello @David_Haaf, for the ones you can’t find in Roon, can they be found via file explorer from your PC?

yes the can all be found in explorer folders

Hello @David_Haaf, and thanks for checking that! I will update the QA team accordingly and return with their feedback.

Hello @David_Haaf, I spoke with the QA team again about the issue and we would like to have you move the files I posted earlier out of the watched folder to see if this helps the scan complete. Please let me know if we see progress by temporarily removing the offending files.