Roon SQ Discussion Thread (Abandon hope all Ye who enter ...)

This will get you started:

http://kb.roonlabs.com/Architecture

http://kb.roonlabs.com/Why_Core%3F

3 Likes

Ouch.

I prefer to think my approact to my hifi system is like an old girlfriend. She said, “You’re not doing it wrong, you just need to do it better.”

1 Like

Michael,
always go with your ears, find a good local dealer and listen. I have no idea what Rene is talking about. I use a modified Mac Mini at my ROON core.

1 Like

Lol, you know I read those a couple of months ago and they made far less sense to me then they do in rereading them today. I guess I have to accept that there’s a learning curve involved.

Michael,
There is a learning curve, and the good people at ROON are not good at simple instruction on how to make it all work. I had to muddle through and ask a lot of questions of the community. Rest assured you cannot break anything. Good luck.

Thanks for these links. I must have skimmed over “Why not just put the Core in the Cloud?” previously. It was nice to revisit this and think about where Roon is going over the couple/few years.

We hear all this talk, here and elsewhere, about all the things that can affect the sound: USB cables, power cables, power cleanliness, the phase of the moon. I wouldn’t say this is wrong, but I am quite convinced that the difference is tiny compared to the difference speakers make, and the room.

Think of all these discussions of whether a cable improvement is audible. And whether you can hear MQA time de-smearing compared to regular high res. Or compared to redbook (CD). Or even if high res is audible compared to redbook through a good DAC. Have you ever questioned whether a new speaker is audible?

I have moved through a range of interesting speaker designs, Magneplanar Timpani IIIC, Thiel, bipolar, Avantgarde horns, Meridian DSP, others. And each upgrade blew me away.

Yes, I know the audiophile writers talk about how the new USB cable blows them away, but that’s a crock. Maybe it makes an audible difference, maybe not. But speakers make dramatic, overwhelming differences. (Not always improvements, but differences.) DACs and amps don’t, as much. And all the other stuff.

I would not discuss whether a MicroRendu is worth the money, or the LPS-1 power supply, or cables. How much they are worth to you is your own perspective.

But I take a strong view on the ratio. I always spend a vast proportion of my budget on speakers. And next, on the library management and user interface (Sooloos, Roon) because those make me discover and use my content.

Speakers, Roon, and the room, first. Quality content, next. A good DAC. An adequate amp. Then worry about tweaking cables.

18 Likes

At last
succinct, to the point and cuts through the BS.

5 Likes

This is why I love my Active speakers. Meridian M60’s and M33’s. The amps are designed for the speakers, they sound great in my room, they were relatively cheap pre owned and have been 100% reliable with no worries about cables, matching etc which just bores me to death. I am happy that Meridian designed all that stuff so I don’t have to, that’s what I paid for.
I bought a good QNAP NAS and IPad Pro to get the best control I can which lets me enjoy The Music and not worry about the technology.
Thoughts amongst the perceived by me madness :joy:Chris

The parametric eq DSP bit in 1.3
 Does it allow to incorporate a measurement (a transfer function like HQP or Dirac use)?

Is this your cologne Paolo?

Am I the only one reading this multiple ways?

I def need to learn scotch

1 Like

[quote=“AndersVinberg, post:127, topic:18846”]
Speakers, Roon, and the room, first. Quality content, next. A good DAC. An adequate amp. Then worry about tweaking cables.[/quote]
Then worry about tweaking cables. Then gently ask developers to, please, fine tune Roon’s playback engine

Right what the OP and myself are aiming at :wink:

:grin:

Perhaps you should tell them exactly what to do rather than making a nonspecific demand like “please, fine tune Roon’s playback engine”. How shall they go about even beginning to interpret that? Explain what’s wrong, what needs improvement
give them something to work with, please.

1 Like

Oh you tease! :slight_smile:

.sjb

It’s your audio endpoints that need tuning. Roon should just deliver the file.

Klipsch Cornwalls have been tuned during 50+ years and Don Garber’s pre and power SET amplifiers during
 just 30 :wink:

:grin:

Exactly. If you’re not using DSP in Roon and you’ve got Roon feeding your DAC via an appropriate endpoint (not a MAC Mini or other typical PC) then what you hear coming out the business end of your Hi-Fi should be no different to that you’re hearing via other software, assuming of course they’ve too passed the signal through unchanged.

Roon is just the messenger. If you don’t like the message change the source, modify your setup or get stuff able to do the message justice.

1 Like

Try this then. There are already screenshots on the Forum of 1.3 footers. In a thread you created, no less !