Roon stability - am I an outlier?

Let’s just get a few things straight here.

If you’re experiencing app crashes, then this is NEVER down to whatever setup you have yourself. App crashes should be fixed… nobody should have to jump through hoops to avoid app crashes. Let’s place the responsibility where it belongs: the developers should fix it. Everything else is just a workaround, NOT a solution.

Crashes, in general, bring down the overall quality of any application to alpha software, since it should be absolute priority to keep things stable and usable. Forget about features as long as things are not working properly. Create a stable experience upon which to build new features. Priority 1.

BY FAR most people have a very simple home network setup: a modem/router, maybe a few devices wired, the rest wifi. Most people don’t even know what a network switch is, what dns is, what ping is… and they should not need to know. So once again the same rule applies: if there are networking issues, those should be ‘caught’ by the application. Create a ‘Network Diagnostics’ tab to check whether things are working properly. For a VERY network-intensive application like Roon, I strongly believe this is a necessity… and quite frankly, this should have been a priority from the start. Priority 2.

Then there’s priority nr. 3: decent communication. Give your users the notion that their problems are heard. Use a ticketing system. A community like this is brilliant, but it should be all about user-to-user communication and help, maybe some announcements from Roon (f.i: which bugs are fixed in bug-fix releases). But a forum should NOT be about sending in issues because it’s the only way to be heard and get a response! It’s nice to see Roon people replying here and getting involved, but I’d rather have them focus on anything except getting bogged down in these endless discussions with a terrible amount of ‘static’ (just look at this thread here… it’s not even about what OP posted anymore).

So… Roon people… no pressure whatsoever! :wink: But really, just focus on these nr. 1, 2 and 3 priorities. Otherwise, you’ll keep busy extinguishing fires only to find them re-occuring somewhere else.

13 Likes