Roon stability - am I an outlier?

I’ve heard nothing but good about Naim, but your example was likely one that, with a firmware update, affected quite a number of their customers at the same time. The problem was likely easy to duplicate in a test lab so that a solution could be found.

Not as many as you would think, they where quite open about it that it was a minority and from the forum most didn’t have any issues. My issue with RSTP was pretty unique yet they fixed it as it shouldn’t have happened. But yes they worked stuff out in test labs duplicating scenarios from logs, they never had my switch or other hardware but worked out the issue. Room has test labs to so this is not unique albeit with Naim it’s thier hardware and software but my environment is still a factor they helped with, but could have easily said we don’t support your hardware. Their top software guy even worked with me on a bank holiday to get my system back to a working condition over the phone. You can’t beat that for service.

2 Likes

Hi I’ve been using roon for over a year . When it works it’s the bees knees. When it doesn’t then you are forever cussing the software. Roons response is your setup is not suitable or your internet’s slow which is total nonsense. Then I ask why is tidal and qobuz working without fail and roon is forever looking for the core.
I stuck with room because the SQ was worth the hassle. It’s better then the auralic LDS but not as flexible .

Having said that Roon 1.8 seems, latest version, to run smoother with no issues. And the sq is still very good. Finding your music on your nas drive is a lot better.

My set up is, room core on a qnap nas drive (high spec) and high speed internet.
Hope this helps.

1 Like

My only problem with Roon after 2+ years is I have to run the app maximized if I use my big tv to view. I commented on this and had several responses from tech support with things to try. I never fixed it, but it didn’t matter since I use a tablet or phone to run Roon.
My endpoints are NAD M10, PowerNode 2i and my desktop with Audioengine A2+. Network is mesh router, I hard wire directly to the nodes.
My core was originally on windows 10 with i3 chip. Then moved to NUC, still i3, so less than recommended. Quite a bit of memory though plus good sized Ssd. Library is on a spinner. 280,000 tracks or so.
About 6 months ago I converted over to headless install which I highly recommend.
Through all changes it has installed and worked as advertised. I’m at a loss to understand why some have no problems while others seem to have a lot.
Agreed you shouldn’t have to change your system to accommodate software. It’s a bummer if you can’t use it though, as it’s the best interface I’ve come across for browsing and playback.

5 Likes

I’ve been using Roon now for a couple of years. Mostly happy, but the iOS apps are not that great. Lots of crashes. I still wouldn’t switch, but I wish the developers on the iOS side stepped it up a notch.

2 Likes

Now that you’re talking, the android app is really crap. When I start it for the first time a black background appears and nothing happens. I have to exit the application and log in again. Sometimes it connects sometimes not, I have to repeat the operation a few more times.

Not my experience at all I am afraid.
Not sure why your droid app is trouble?

Marius it seems to be dependant on the version of Android you have.

We have 4 Android phones in my house (all OnePlus phones) and we almost no issues with them.
It seems that most of the problems are with Samsung and Huawei phones.
But you are able to disable battery optimization on many phones and it makes a huge improvement. On OnePlus you can also lock apps I’m memory which means it is always running and connected.

Roon is a memory hungry app and Huawei phones in particular use quite aggressive memory and battery management techniques to preserve the battery life, which will shut Roon down when not in use or when it goes into the background.

I have a first generation 11" iPad pro and that suffers the same problems with Roon being swapped out of memory and being forced to restart constantly whenever I leave it going to sleep, it’s equally frustrating.

1 Like

Yep, Pixel 4 is the same with managing battery power. That said with battery optimisation off or on Roons performance is the same for me. It gets closed if in bg for a while and other apps used, also had it all black on occasion. This is Google’s flagship phone with stock Android yet it still has issues. ItRox app which I can control Room playback happy as Larry to run all the time as does Qobuz app, BubbleUPnP, UAPP well every other music app. Go figure.

Too funny as my Motorola moto Z4 has zero issues with Roon but quite often locks up on bubbleupnp.
And don’t even get me started on Bluos and mConnect apps…:relaxed::innocent:

1 Like

Pixel 4 had terrible amount of memory for the time it was released. Google sadly get something wrong with almost every recently released phone. Though the 4A is very good

I was a loyal Google Nexus phone owner when they ran it as a developer phone.

Roon app is pretty heavy in memory usage, which is why phones like the OnePlus work well as they have plenty of memory.

Not sure I need much memory so it’s fine for my uses. Don’t see the point of tons of ram in a phone. But I will likely gravitate back to OnePlus for the next one, just they got way more expensive after the 5, which I still have and it’s battery still bests the pixel and it’s nearly 4 years old. My son will be having it soon though for his first phone.

I got the OnePlus 9 pro last month for some work I did (lucky me) and it is a beast of a phone. You are correct in that you don’t need 12GB of Ram, but it seems impossible to slow this phone down and Roon is perfect for it, but completely over the top and way to expensive in reality.

But we keep them for years and we still have everything from the 5 (my sister), 6 (my brother), 7 pro (wife), 8 (son) 9 pro (me) in daily use. All bar the 5 are still getting regular updates.

I agree too expensive, but I think the basic 8 or 9 are much cheaper and still offer 80-90% of the features for 50-60% of the cost of the 9 pro

1 Like

Happy user here. I’ve had a few problems pop up here and there, but they were always traced back to my network.

One time my mesh router decided to auto update its firmware, and one of the mesh nodes stopped allowing Roon traffic. It would be easy to blame Roon, as when this happened (twice), everything else worked just fine. Took me a few days to figure out that I only had problems when my remotes were connected to one specific satellite in the mesh system since I did most of my debugging sitting next to that particular satellite. Once I figured that out, and reflashed the firmware to that satellite, all was good again.

My point is that it really appeared as though Roon was the culprit, when it was a newly introduced fault in my network.

I do agree with those who think Roon needs to spend some time figuring out how to ease the networking requirements as network issues seem to be the predominate failure modes.

5 Likes

Is it a network issue if restarting the Roon core software fixes it?

4 Likes

Dear Peter, about your Tidat questions: I live in the Netherlands and stream almost all day long Tidal using Roon without any problem: I replaced the lousy wifi router from my provider with a not expensive better one. Before that I had cables between my NUC/Rock and all the endpoints after bad expereinces with wifi.

…on this moment I sit at my kitchen table, behind my cabled Linux laptop listening to Tidal on a standalone Roon endpoint using a wifi connection while on the same moment I follow on my iPad - also on the same kitchen table and on wifi - the television live report from the Tour the France with a T-mobile app. (yes sound off…)

I normally listen to Tidal MQA/Roon in my living room on my better hifi-set with also a cable connection. …but wait, I forgot that I borrowed that cable connection for my kitchen laptop and my hifi-set did automatically fall back to wifi… I seem to listen now for weeks to Tidal/Roon with wifi on my hifiset without realising that and witghout problems, thanks to my new wifi router? :slight_smile:

I had all those problems and more with my previous Roon core - an iMac.
I’ve switched to a SonicTransport and almost all are gone - much happier with Roon.
So I think less likely networking, and more likely Roon on MacOS is less reliable.
–Peter

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but the biggest issue I’ve ever had with Roon was with the 882 build. The core had updated before the new Android App was let loose in the Google Play Store and I couldn’t use my Samsung Note 20 Ultra as a remote device for a few hours.

My network is rock solid. Crappy ISP router is locked in modem mode, router is a Ubiquiti UDM Pro. Fibre connection from it to the main switch, 20Gb fibre from there to the Roon core/music library/Plex server/IP camera server (Synology Rackstation), 10Gb fibre to the secondary switch in my office and everything equipped with RJ45 port at our address is cabled in Cat6 (I buy Cat 6 in 1000 ft drums! :joy:)

Interestingly, the worst network performers I have are both Dell laptops; no matter how I connect them to the internet - wireless (Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Pros X 3), wired, USB Gb ethernet adapter, they can leverage but a fraction of my internet bandwidth.

Roon is network hungry - when I stream from Qobuz, I can watch my Rackstation’s download rate skyrocket (presumably while it buffers a few tracks), then settle down again. If you skip a few tracks, it skyrockets again for a bit, than drops back to a more sensible level.

If there’s any weakness in your network, Roon is sure to find it…

4 Likes

If there’s any weakness in your network, Roon is sure to find it…

More true words have never been typed. I’ve had network issues recently with Roon (as usual everything else worked fine), but now I can play 6ch DSD256 (so close to 70 Mbps) with no glitches.

2 Likes

The only issues I have had with Roon are;

• Tidal loading issues tracks skipping. Dropped Tidal and went to Qobuz
  • Roon IOS app crashes/lockups. This seems to be pretty much sorted these days.

Most other issues have been my doing with network.

Find me a better (more reliable) software that provides all the functionality of Roon? Local playback, streaming, DSP, management. GUI.

LMS/squeezelite, or Vortexbox etc are the closest. Audirvana is a reliability nightmare IME.