Roon startup deadlock and usability issue (ref#43UJQ2)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Interface & Usability

Description of Issue

My Roon instance sometimes gets itself into a deadlock on startup. The issue seems to be co-morbid with when many files are modified at once and one of the recently-modified albums tries to load on screen. Note that I have a custom metadata tagging software.

More importantly perhaps, from a usability perspective, I have noticed that sometimes I can “get myself out of” the startup deadlock by navigating out of the last opened page.

This really tells me one thing: the application needs to await a “consistent state” after a crash happens. From a usability perspective, yes, you need to fix the underlying issue, but I also don’t want my instance to be “jailed” in an endless loop of deadlocks.

For example, you may want to use a startup pop-up that says "We noticed that Roon crashed the last time it was shut down. Would you like to: (1) continue booting, or (2) scan your library before continuing?

This would give Roon a chance to at least get to a consistent state before loading the album. It’s a real shame that Roon encounters these deadlocks. And I really hope that you can improve your software to retry and handle errors better so that I would stay a customer.

Please don’t reply with an automated message. I am a software developer and work with databases in my day job. I can take a call if you would like to chat more.

Thank you,
April

Roon Core Platform

Windows

Roon Core Specifications

NAS storage backend. Custom tagging software. Windows running in VM. Regular AMD desktop hardware

Connected Audio Devices

Multiple

Home Network Details

Direct ethernet

I am going to migrate to a Linux installation. Hoping that it would be more reliable.

Wow, I had not realized how much more stable Roon is being run as a server

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.