Roon Startup Issue

Hi

Quick question…I’m running Roon on a Windows 10 64 bit PC and it has recently started to hang on startup. The PC “activity” light remains on constantly without flickering. Is there a switch to startup Roon as “Server only” ie. without the GUI to check if it’s a graphics problem?

Thanks

DDJ

Download and use RoonServer. You can have both on the same Core machine.

Thanks Slim…I’ll give it a go

DDJ

Hi…Server starts fine but as a fresh install asking me for my music location etc. How do I point it to my existing database?

TIA

DDJ

Hmm, backup/restore your Roon database?

Use Settings==>Backup.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_move_my_Roon_library_to_a_new_computer%3F

The backup/restore option only works if you have access to the settings via the gui. I’m running the Roon server which is basically a start/stop option. I need to point the server to my existing database as the gui keeps hanging.

TIA

DDJ

Do you have a tablet or phone? If so, then install RoonRemote app.

With your old Roon Core running, do a backup using Settings==>Backups==>Scheduled Backups.

Drop your old Roon Core and bring up RoonServer.

Using RoonRemote from your tablet or phone, restore your database using Settings==>Backups==>Find Backups

In this case, you will need to use a prior backup that was created when you had access to Roon.

There might be a way to fool mother nature and move your Roon database to the proper RoonServer folder, but I am unwilling to counsel you on that. Maybe someone else will.

Dunno.

Thanks for the help so far. I have restored a fairly recent backup and am waiting to see if Roon boots up with it. Fingers crossed…

DDJ

The very fact that you could do a Restore means that RoonServer is up and working.

Unfortunately not…the restore completed successfully and when Roon restarted we’re back at square 1, hanging indefinitely.

DDJ

That doesn’t make any sense. RoonServer had to come up successfully or you couldn’t do the Restore.

Sounds like maybe your database is messed up.

Therefore, I am tagging @support as this is out of my bailiwick.

Good luck.

Hi Slim

I’ve no problem with Roon Server but it wants me to create my database from scratch as it doesn’t seem to realise I already have an exisiting Roon database from when the GUI frontend was working. I agree it seems to indicate an erroneous datasbe entry which is now preventing Roon from starting. I’m going to restore one from months ago (a known good one) and see if that helps. Hopefully @support might be able to shed some light too as by implication, any database restore comes from a previously working GUI…

DDJ

You can search here how to migrate from roon to roon server in the KB pages

Here I do it for you

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_move_my_library_over_to_RoonServer%3F_How_do_I_run_headless%3F

If you brought up RoonServer and then used RoonRemote app from your phone or tablet to tell RoonServer to do a Restore, then there should be no problem with RoonServer using your old database from that restored backup.

That’s not necessarily true. You can have a bad database and still back it up. Roon calls it ‘latent corruption’. I know from recent experience…

1 Like

Hi @Paul_Moran,

Can you please use these instructions to access your Roon logs and provide a set via Dropbox / Google Drive? If you don’t have Dropbox / Google Drive let me know and i can provide alternate upload instructions.

Thanks Slim…trying to restore the database from the remote while running Roon Server…I’ll keep you posted!

DDJ

Hi Slim

Thanks for the help. Roon Server works fine with the restored database but if I try and run Roon from my PC it hangs and then kills the PC (everything sluggish, frozen windows etc.). I’ve emailed @support my log files so hopefully they can shed some light…

DDJ

1 Like

Hi @Paul_Moran,

Thanks for sending those logs over. I took a look through them and I’m not seeing anything jump out at me for the reason as to why this behavior is occurring. I suggest doing a manual reinstall of the Roon GUI client as the next step here, can you please give this a try?

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if same behavior occurs on the fresh install