Roon stopped importing new albums?

I have rebooted my NUC running Roon Rock yes, several times.

Inotify handles, where do I check this?

I added a share on my Truenas called Lossy and added an album there. Fixed permissions etc on the Truenas side and then added it for Roon to watch, and it immediately scanned and added the album. Wierd?

I meant reboot your NAS. And you would check that on the NAS

Weird and an interesting data point.

NAS was rebooted to yes, no cigar. I dont know if FreeBSD understands that command, it says the directory doesnt exist, but maybe it complains about spaces. My folders and files have spaces, what do I type when there is a space to locate a file with tail -f ?

just use the example with var/log/dmesg. According to its Web Info pages, FreeBSD does support tail

“no such file or directory”

I did put a “test.txt” file with some bla bla text in my music directory and cd’d to that directory, did ls and it found it. I then did tail -f test.txt and it shows the bla bla text. Seems its not out of inotify watches then?

That does not seem to be the issue. Going back to the new directory which works. Maybe the permissions changed on the original location?

Permissions are set on SMB share level, and Roon does read all the other files, so how could that be?

Not sure, was only thinking out loud, based on your description of what you did when setting up the test directory which worked.

I quickly compared permissions from Windows. One folder imported along time ago and one recently added that doesnt get into inventory (two Orbital albums) and they look exactly the same under Properties/Security

Love Orbital.

As for your issue, I have run out of Ideas, especially since I am not very familiar with TrueNAS.
Other than a basic have you Disabled/Enabled your main storage location. That has at times cleared up some weird issues for me.

Official support hopefully will engage soon.

Thanks for your support. I diabled my main Roon share, everything but the one I added under Lossy (some Mozart OGG album) went away under Albums. I then enabled it again and it made a rescan which went over 80K tracks imported for a brief moment and then back to 77480 tracks.

Just a thought, have the tracks been imported but they are Hidden?
Check the setting in the screen shot, that may be the “problem” try changing the setting to yes if necessary. This setting does affect the track count.

Thanks Paul, but it made no difference.

1 Like

The mystery continues :roll_eyes:

A real cliffhanger:)

If you load all the albums which do not show up in the Test location which works, you will at least have access to them in Roon.

So I did another little experiment on my own. Since Roon apparenly is capping on a certain number of files, folders or whatever per dataset from TrueNAS, I made another dataset called Various and moved all Various (Artists) from my main Roon folder to that one. It was some 250 Gb of data.

I also removed the newly added albums that Roon refused to add when the dataset had capped. Then I added one mp3 album to the dataset Lossy in TrueNAS (Storage Folder in Roon) that I created the other day for test, and one new flac album to my main Roon dataset. Over night Roon decided to add those albums.

This points to a cap per folder and not some fault on the files.

This morning I added the flac albums that wasnt inventoried at first, then removed by me, to the main Roon folder and Roon now inventoried them.

After that I added the dataset Various as a new Storage Folder in Roon, which was previously in the main Roon folder/dataset and now has its own.

I now have 72146 tracks imported in my Roon folder, 82 in my Lossy folder and 5416 tracks in my Various folder.

So Roon clearly caps the number of imported tracks per folder for me. I will probably run in to this cap again since I add new albums every day after going thru them, making sure that they are rightly tagged and in a good format.

Pity that Roon Support are not involved in the matter.

I think you’ll find your case will receive a response but there’s a backlog of support requests, my support query from 20/12/2021 received a response on 10/01/2022…

AFAIK, also from past threads and responses from Roon Labs, there are no limitations from Roon’s side. If limits exist, they are more likely to be found on the server side. Especially with “Realtime watching for new files”, all those files in a share have to be monitored. There are usually limits on open files and other tuning parameters to keep resource usage on the server limited to sane levels (especially ZFS is a real resource hog). Can you see anything unusual being reported on your file server logs?