Roon stopped playing to Sonos, AirPlay since Build 334

Hi Dylan

Sorry for the delay in my reply - I’ve renamed the folder to Roon_old and re-launched Roon on my Laptop. It’s re-added all my music under a new DB but it’s still not playing to the Sonos devices I’m afraid.

Duncan

Thanks for giving that a try, @Duncan_McDonald.

Is it only the Sonos zones having problems now, or all zones?

So just to recap:

• PC core is able to play to all zones without issue
  • NAS core cannot play to any zones
  • Fresh database on the NAS yields no changes

Based on our troubleshooting, it definitely seems like the issue is specific to the NAS. Something specific to the NAS’ environment is likely causing this issue, so there are a couple things I’d like to suggest.

First, try reinstalling Roon on the Core machine and try to play to the zones after this.

If this doesn’t work, I think it will be worth looking into the difference in connection between the PC and the NAS.

Can you go into a bit more detail about how you have this set up? Are the PC and NAS connected to the same switch? Different switches? If you connect the NAS directly to the router, bypassing all switches, is there any change in behavior?

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi Dylan

A re-install has not corrected it I’m afraid. The sonos devices I’ve been testing are connected to the same gig switch as the NAS and my laptop - there’s nothing in between them so I’m confident that this isn’t contributing to the problem.

Just out of interest have you been able to see anything in the diagnostics? The fact the Sonos app is complaining that the flac stream isn’t encoded correctly suggests Roon isn’t sending it correctly surely? Or at least in the expected format?

Why it works from my Laptop Roon as the core I don’t know - I do agree that it’s looking likely to be the NAS but I’m puzzled as nothing has changed on it - the only thing that’s changed is the core update to build 334.

Duncan

Hey @Duncan_McDonald,

Thanks for giving that a try!

I had a chat with the team about this, and the diagnostics report seemed to point to the issue stemming from networking difficulties. Since the PC Core machine worked without issue that also seems to point to something networking related on the NAS.

I talked to the team about next steps, and they’re hoping we can do some additional troubleshooting on the networking side so we can gain some additional insight here.

First, can you describe your network topology to us? Which devices are connected to which switches? How is each device connected, and to what? Is the NAS and PC on the same switch? Knowing the exact chain in place will help us understand what may be happening a bit better.

Next, the team has asked that you try to connect one of the devices and the NAS Core directly to the router, bypassing any switches. If there is no change during this test, make a note of the time you try to play music with this setup and we can enable diagnostics once more and take a look at the report with the new networking setup.

Thank you for your patience as we continue troubleshooting here, @Duncan_McDonald! It’s genuinely been appreciated.

-Dylan

Hi Dylan

Thanks for the reply. Topology is very simple:
Using a Class C 192.168.1.0 subnet.
Gateway (Router) is 192.168.1.1
NAS is 192.168.1.10
Sonos in my office (for example) is 192.168.1.13
Laptop is 192.168.1.17

All the above devices connect via a D-Link gig switch.

Based on your last reply; I started looking at the NAS networking setup a bit more and realised I’m using “teamed” NIC’s - that is, I’ve bound the two onboard NIC’s and am using them with a round-robin load balanced configuration.

I deleted the team and disconnected 1 of the NIC’s and now 1 album will play to the Sonos - and it’s the Mozart Violin album I downloaded as part of this forum thread which is a FLAC file.

The other albums - MP3, AAC etc. still won’t play - so we’re getting there, but I don’t know if you want to check the diags for the times but I’ve played the FLAC at 20:02 and then attempted an album that doesn’t work straight after.

I do think we’re getting there and it’s looking more and more as though it’s the NAS or the network - which I’m struggling with since nothing has changed.

Cheers

Duncan

I have this exact problem. Roon is the issue. I can hit all endpoints and local devices (including speakers connected directly to the computer) with every other sound generating software. The ONLY audio zone that is functional is HQPlayer. Roon routes to it and I have HGPlayer set to use Airplay to my DAC.

(edit: Apologies, I should have started my own thread and pointed to this one as a reference)

Has ffmpeg been updated yet (ffmpeg-git-20180717-64bit-static)? I had problems with an older version.

Hi @ascot - good point, not sure how I’d go about verifying that on the NAS; presumably a linux command fi you happen to know which ones?!

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

i use ROCK and i know only the Raspberry Pi commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade

br
Ascot

Cheers @ascot - I figured it out, upgraded ffmpeg to the latest version…and no joy I’m afraid.

Duncan

Hey @Duncan_McDonald,

Apologies for the delayed response here. I’ve been looking into this with the team and we believe we have an idea of why this is occurring.

The development team is currently working on a solution for an issue with certain versions of FFMPEG. We believe that this change should resolve this for you once it is released. I cannot make any promises as to when this will be released, but I can promise that I will keep this thread updated as more information becomes available.

Typically updating FFMPEG will resolve this, but some users have reported that this is not possible on certain NAS devices. The NAS device you are using is also not a standard device that we recommend (i.e. it is not a Synology or QNAP), so this may be the case here.

Apologies for the difficulties here, Duncan. I’ll be sure to update this thread updated as any news becomes available.

Kind regards,
Dylan

Hey Dylan

Thanks for the update, I’ll keep an eye on the thread and give it a go when you come to update FFMPEG.

I’ll also have a look at a QNAP device as a possible alternative too - is there is a list somewhere of officially approved devices you support?

Thanks for all your help on this,

Duncan

Hey @Duncan_McDonald,

We have some information about what we recommend in this article. In the article we discuss what the best configurations are and go into details on why. I highly recommend giving it a read!

Thanks,
Dylan