Roon stopping randomly

@fschmeis - Thanks for clarifying. In that case, yes, you can go ahead and move the old database back to the SSD which is currently hosting the library. Do let me know how it goes!

@noris: to give you an update: Roon is running much more stable (just two crashes in den meantime); couldn’t test thoroughly as I was very busy and actually have a QNAP issue …

one question is still open, do you have a recommendation (I assume that one crash was forced by parallel indexing of the multi media stram add on while using Roon):

Hi @fschmeis,

Glad to hear that the system is running in a more stable fashion!

We’re not aware of any reports of Multi Media stream add-on causing issues with Roon, you can try both variations with/without the module, but it should be fine to leave it as-is.

I am having this issue (between roon and linn dsm/3) on and off for a long time, restarting roon did not help, so I decided to reboot the linn, and it fixed it.

1 Like

@noris: just to give you an update:

since beginning of 2020 my QNAP is in the netherlands to be repaired, the backplane is damaged …

@QuinnT: thx for your hint

unfortunately that doesn’t help in my case …

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

QNAP TVS-671 with 16 GByte of main memory, QNAP firmware is the current version: 5.0.0.180, CPU is a Intel i5, ffmpeg : 3.3.6, QPKG-Version : 2021-05-18, running Roon Server Version 1.8 (build 831); there are 5 x 6 TByte (WD red plus) disks in RAID-1 where the music is stored and one Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256 GByte where the RoonServer and Database is installed

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router: FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable, GBit Switch: Netgear ProSAFE JGS524PE, Wifi: FRITZ!Repeater 3000 (connected via Ethernet to the Router); iPAD as control point via Wifi, Windows 10 Notebook conntected via Ethernet as control point

Connected Audio Devices

LINN Klimax DSM via Ethernet

Number of Tracks in Library

appr. 350.000

Description of Issue

Since september 2018 I am faced with randomly crashes of Roon Server (see history of this thread); at the beginning it was not tooo often, with my growing library it crashed more often but once Roon was up and running and survived for some minutes it was “rather” stable; most of the crashes occured just after Roon Server has been restarted; but during the last months it became worse and since my library grew to appr. 350.000 tracks things are really bad, Roon isn’t usable anymore :frowning:

9th of October, 6:05 pm, started to play a track of a local album, after 21 sec: CRASH

Roon Server takes something like 5 min to recover from the crash, during this time the CPU of my NAS is loaded appr. 50% with “RoonAppliance”; then the Album Art in the Control Point on my iPAD reappears

9th of October, 6:17 pm, Album Art in Roon Control Point on my iPAD reappears, CPU in NAS goes down, restart the track, Roon play the track this time for 3 sec, crash again …

I downloaded all logfiles as a Zip (Button in Ronn Server in “App Center” of QTS of my NAS) and had a look at the logfile “ROONSERVER_QNAP_LOG.txt”; at the timestamps when the crashes occured is written:

09.10.21-18:19:22 — =================================================================
09.10.21-18:19:22 — Native Crash Reporting
09.10.21-18:19:22 — =================================================================
09.10.21-18:19:22 — Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
09.10.21-18:19:22 — a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
09.10.21-18:19:22 — used by your application.

09.10.21-18:19:22 — Could not exec mono-hang-watchdog, expected on path ‘/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RoonServer/RoonServer/RoonMono/etc/…/bin/mono-hang-watchdog’ (errno 2)
09.10.21-18:19:22 — Error
09.10.21-18:19:24 — Initializing
09.10.21-18:19:24 — Started
09.10.21-18:19:27 — Running

So I thought, may be something is missing in my RoonServer installation on my NAS, therefore I pushed the button “Replace the current Roon Server Application with the latest one from the Roon Labs web site” in “Roon Server” in “App Center” of QTS of my NAS

tried to restart the track, again: immediate crash :frowning:

PLEASE HELP

Hi @fschmeis ,

Can you please upload the entire contents of the log files you downloaded, including RoonServer logs? Perhaps those contain further clues, thanks!

sure - where to upload? or should I put it into a dropbox?

I loaded the last log files into my dropbox: Dropbox - Roon - Simplify your life

there have been some additional crashes in the meantime …

1 Like

Hello @fschmeis ,

Thank you for sending those logs over! We took a look through them and there appears to be quite a lot of library activity happening, the Roon Core is importing and identifying content.

Can you please confirm, does the same issue occur once the Core has finished imported your content? Is there any change if you set Background and On-Demand Audio Analysis to Off under Roon Settings → Library?

@noris : Thanks for coming back to me

I haven’t added a new album for the last 4 weeks, therefore the only activities which might be ongoing is whatever might be necessary after a crash …

Just had a look at the resource monitor: My QNAP is idle:
grafik

Nevertheless I deactivated the background analysis:

Did start a track, worked, system still nearly idle:
grafik

The Roon core was always very unstable right after start up, therefore I
stopped the track, stopped the core, startet the Roon core again

During startup Roon Appliance takes 25 to 50% for some minutes until the control point connects to the core

after appr. 4 to 5 min the control point (Roon on my iPad) shows my tracks again and the CPU load goes down:
grafik

restarted the track (still with deactivated background analysis), 3 sec later: CRASH

logfile can be found here: Dropbox - Roon - Simplify your life

now I have to wait again for 4-5 min, try to start a track again, I have to repeat this serveral times (3 to 8 times) until I can use Roon again, and then - for some reason - it may work for 10 min or 3 hours and then crashes again … :frowning_face:

PLEASE HELP

Hi @fschmeis ,

Thank you for sending those logs over, and sorry to hear that the app is still crashing. I took a look over the logs and it looks like there was some identification happening in the background and there may have been an issue with a zone playback, I wonder if the zone is causing an issue here.

You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Stop RoonServer from running
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location on the QNAP
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart RoonServer to generate a new RAATServer folder

Let us know if this helps with the issue, thank you!

@noris : thx, will do that during weekend

just one question to be sure: will the playlists also be deleted, or will “just” the audio settings be reset? Background of my question: I am not using DSP (that is done by my LINN streamer) but I have plenty of playlists …

Just the audio settings, but please do make a backup just in case.

Hello @noris ,

made an additional Backup (have scheduled backups every 4 days), stopped Roon, renamed the RAATServer to RAATServer_old and restarted Roon:

First of all seemed to work well, but later had crashes again, see my Drop Box for the Logile: Dropbox - Roon - Simplify your life

Have also installed the new Roon version which shouldn’t need Mono any longer:
grafik

PLEASE HELP

Hello @fschmeis ,

Thanks for trying those steps and sending the new logs over. I am not seeing much info regarding the crash in the Roon logs, let me check with the team on this and get back to you.

Hello @noris ,

may be the crash is not included in the last logfile, sorry for that, I loaded all archived log files up to the dropbox … can you can see when RAATServer has been re-created?

Cheers
Frank

Hello @noris ,

yesterday, 4th of November, I had one crash around 10:42 pm, uploaded a new logfile to the dropbox

PLEASE HELP

cheers
frank

Hi @fschmeis ,

Thanks for giving the RAATServer reset a try and sorry to hear it hasn’t helped.

I spoke to the team regarding your case recently and they don’t believe that this issue is due to an audio zone, but rather there may be some system-level issues.

Have you tried to create a backup, reinstall RoonServer and restore a backup yet? This is worth a try in case there are issues with the RoonServer package.

Hello @noris ,

thanks for coming back to me so fast!

what I had done (may be 1 week before rebuilding the zone): clicked on the box left down “Replace the current Roon Server application with the latest one from RoonLabs website”:
grafik

Do you mean that?

Or should I really deinstall the entire app from my QNAP?

Cheers
Frank

Hello @noris ,

what I have done during weekend, starting 6th of November appr. 5 pm:

• deleted Roon in the AppCenter
  • deleted all Roon files on my NAS resp. deleted the entire directory “RoonOnNAS” with the file station
  • restartet my QNAP
  • started Roon server and entered DB location
  • started Roon remote and entered the my Qobuz account; could play music from Qobuz
  • restored tha last backup of my Roon DB which took 1.5 hours
  • linked my music library to the server; Roon startet analysing / adding files; one time around 6:35 pm I tried to start to play some music from my remote but caused a crash; downloaded logfiles, please refer to “download_2021-11-06_18-35-51.zip”; from then on never tried playing music again during adding the library
  • nevertheless: from time to time the remote lost the Roon server, there were some more crashes of the server, please refer to “download_2021-11-07_11-21-35.zip”
  • Roon was analysing during night and was finished in the morning

So far Roon seems to work again, feels good / a little bit “snappier” and more reliable than before; nevertheless: please have a look at the logs

Thx in advance

Cheers
Frank