Roon stopping randomly

Hi @fschmeis,

Since everything seems to be working when the Linn is connected directly to the router, there is something about the Netgear managed switch that is interfering with the connection between the Roon Core and the Linn.

There are a couple of options here. One is you could try using an unmanaged switch and see if the same behavior occurs. Typically unmanaged switches do not cause this type of behavior.

You can also try changing some of the settings on the managed switch. Try disabling IGMP Snooping and see if there is any change. There may be other settings that interfere with this connection, so it may be worth trying a few different configurations to see if you can get the switch to allow an uninterrupted connection.

Hi @dylan,
on Sunday it was working for more than 10 hours without any stoppage; yesterday evening I had two stoppages (still having both the streamer as well as the QNAP directly hooked to the router) within very few minutes, around 9 pm local time = CET (Central European Time) :disappointed_relieved:
I conclude: It isn’t the managed switch …
Okay, let’s proceed with the next step: Move the core and the library somewhere else (there is a notebook I can use for that); as this takes some time I will do that during this weekend …

Two questions:

• Did you receive those two stoppages from yesterday evening?
  • When hooking my notebook (with the moved core) to the network: Should I connect it directly to my router or to my switch?

Hi @fschmeis,

Thanks for giving that test a go.

I will enable diagnostics for the team to take a look at those stoppages. It would definitely be helpful to also have the results of the second test for their next round of feedback.

The preferred option here would be to connect it directly to the router. The fewer variables in the equation, the better here. If it does work with the router connection, it may be worthwhile to connect via the switch and see if there is any noticeable difference.

@dylan,

Thursday appr. 9:50 pm CET was one more stoppage, did you get it?

okay, during weekend I will move my core (and some albums of my library) to a notebook.

Thanks, @fschmeis. Definitely let me know how that test goes with the new Core!

hello @dylan,
I stopped my core on the QNAP, installed just the core on my Windows 10 Pro notebook (no control as it is an older notebook and the graphics card doesn’t support OpenGL 3), moved some flac files over, assigned my Roon lifetime account to the new core and started playing music; had two stoppages when the notebook still was hooked to the managed switch: Suprisingsingly the LINN audio streamer disappeared in both cases, Roon core continued to be seeable on my control=iPAD (when running the core in my QNAP then the Roon core disappeared); then re-patched the Ethernet cable so that the notebook is hooked directly to the router; restarted playing music and put it into the endless loop mode … can you activate the diagnose mode?

Hi @fschmeis,

Have you noticed any stoppages since connecting the device directly to the router?

the short answer: so far not

the right answer: can not yet answer this

the long answer: when running my QNAP connected directly to the router and playing music non stop for 12 hours there were no stoppage; once I started using Roon to play different tracks, artists, … the stoppages occur; so far I have not used Roon in this way … will report end of the week if no stoppages occurred resp. will report as soon as Roon stops again …

Hello @dylan,
so far the (old) notebook running the core and connected directly to the router runs without any stoppages.
As the QNAP had stoppages both connected to the managed switch as well as connected directly to the router it seems that the root cause is not the managed switch but the installation of Roon on my QNAP.
So, how to proceed?
Next step could be: I connect the notebook to the managed switch (I don’t expect any stoppages, this would verify that the Roon installation on my QNAP is the cause and not the managed switch)?

Hi @fschmeis,

Thanks for giving this test a go. It definitely seems to point to something about the QNAP Core being the cause of the behavior that you were experiencing.

I would start to investigate the settings on the QNAP. Try changing some settings related to the network that may be interfering with the connection.

You can give this a go as well. If things work with the managed switch in place, then great! If issues return in this configuration, then we know that the managed switch is also playing into the troubles you’ve been experiencing.

Thanks!

hello @dylan,

Okay, I hooked the notebook (running the core) and the streamer directly to the managed switch, will report back after some time how it goes …

if indeed the problem is the installation of Roon on my QNAP: As this QNAP model (TVS 671 with i5) is a recommended platform for Roon (please refer to https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Server_on_NAS) and everything was working as long as I used the UPnP bridge instead of the native connection LINN <-> Roon, I would appreciate some (more) assistance in identifying and removing the root cause of these stoppages …

Hello @fschmeis,

I just wanted to check in with you here and see if you are still experiencing issues with the Ethernet connection to the managed switch in place, can you please let me know when possible?

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @noris,

thank you for coming back to my case.

To summarize where I came from: In former times I used the UPnP bridge from sonore, everything was connected to my Netgear JGS524PE Switch, never experienced any stoppages; then Roon released native support of LINN DSM streamer, so I sold my UPnP bridge, but: My QNAP TVS 671 NAS running the core and hosting my library is stopping sometimes music playback, then it takes a few minutes to be able to re-connect my control point to the core; sometimes this happens not for 4 hours, sometimes it happens every 3 or 5 minutes …

As Dylan asked I skipped my Netgear JGS524PE Switch and connected both the QNAP and my streamer directly to my router, but the problem didn’t disappear; to be sure I moved - as dylan asked my - my core to a different device: a notebook, appr. 5 years old, running Windows 10; both when connected to my Netgear JGS524PE Switch and directly to my router (together with my LINN streamer) I didn’t experience those stoppages; what I experienced in very few cases: a stop of music playback of high res files; immediately after the stop I could re-connect the control point to the core (running on the windows notebook) and restart the playback; actually I have restarted my QNAP and re-connected it to my Netgear JGS524PE Switch, for the last 2 hours no stoppage, may be it makes sense that you re-activate the extended logging or whatever might help to identify the root cause of my stoppages

As Dylan mentioned to “play around” with the network settings of my QNAP I read through them but couln’t identify anything which looked suspicious, following the network configuration of my QNAP, may be you can identify something I should change:

grafik
grafik
grafik
grafik
grafik
grafik
grafik

Anything else I can do?

Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers
Frank

Hello @noris,
just had one more outage, at 2:44 pm (Central European Time), for several minutes I see just the following on my control point (in this case windows 10):

During this outage my QNAP resource monitor shows between 30% and 70% CPU utilization, once the Roon control point can connect again to my core the CPU utilization goes below 20%, following you can see CPU utilization over time:

one more outage at 3:20 pm CET, approximately 2.5 min

Hello @fschmeis,

Thanks for providing those screenshots and timestamps. I have re-activated diagnostics mode on your account and can confirm that the newest diagnostics from your machine have reached our servers and I have submitted them to QA for analysis. Please be aware that part of the team is out for the holidays so it may take some time until I hear back from QA regarding the analysis.

As for the specific QNAP settings, I believe that would be a question for our resident QNAP expert @crieke, but again, with the holiday season I am not sure if he is around too much during this time. I appreciate your patience until I hear back from QA and Chris.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @noris,
thx for the update!
For your information: One more stoppage: Sunday, 30th of December, 1:35 pm CET
Cheers
Frank

Thanks for letting me know that additional timestamp @fschmeis, I have added it to your case notes.

I will be sure to let you know once QA has provided an analysis report based on the diagnostics we have received. I wish you a great New Year celebration!

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @noris:

Thank you very much! I wish you a great 2019!

One more stoppage just 30 sec after starting the playback on Sunday, 08:28 pm CET (the 1st stoppage in 2019)

hi @fschmeis,
i was just wondering, if there are any others services running on your TVS-871.
(For example a backup job, to create a backup of your database in a specific interval…?)