Roon stops playing about 90 seconds into a song

Today I was listening to Roon. The song stops playing midway through. Roon shows that it has moved forward to a different song (next in a playlist or whatever Radio has chosen).

The new song is not playing however: the system is silent. The song timer is stopped at :01 but the playback graphic (the little equalizer graphic that shows up next to the currently playing song) is still active. Look closely at From Me to You and you’ll see the graphic. The song never moves past :01.

Sometimes I can play another song straight away. Sometimes I have to completely restart Roon.

Looking very closely at the behavior, I notice that sometimes I start to play a new song. No sound comes out but the seconds counter jumps forward a bit sporadically. It basically seems like the disk read/streaming is not occurring properly and Roon chokes. But this system doesn’t do anything but run Roon. The only change to the system in the last 4 weeks is whatever upgrades were part of the latest Roon and OS service packs.

Any ideas?

Hi Scott,

Please set out details of your system as per this post. It will help Support rule things out so they can help you quicker.

Hi @scott_powell ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your observations with us. The feedback is appreciated!

Moving forward, to help us better understand what could be going on with your setup, may I very kindly ask you to please provide the following:

• As @andybob has asked in his post. An description of your current setup, using this link as a guide.

• Do you have a sense of how often this behavior is occurring? Furthermore, is it happening while you are playing the same content every time? Are there any commonalities between the media being streamed and this “stopping” behavior you can think of?

• If I am not mistaken (based on your screenshot) you are making use of a McIntosh based endpoint. If you play directly out of the internal speakers OR headphone jack on the device hosting your core, do you make the same observation where the music will randomly stop?

-Eric