Roon stops playing after one or two songs....delays for sometimes five minutes then usually restarts

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Antipodes DX as core.
iMac and iPad to navigate through playlist or Tidal.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
All components are hardwired with their own IP address and I use a one year old Asus router.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Digital coax connection to my preamp and amp upstairs.
Two zones a Chromcast and Bryston Pi.

Description Of Issue
This same situation occurs in all zones at different times - i.e. one zone can be running a different playlist and will stop while another is still running.

The playlist usually starts right away, but will stop after on or two songs have played. When I go to the iMac or iPad to restart, there is a screen that says “loading”, while I can see the song at the bottom that is supposed to be playing - the bar at the bottom oscillates back and forth as though searching. Usually in ten minutes or less and I don’t do anything the playlist will start again and run for hours with no issues. Doesn’t matter whether I use the iPad or iMac for this.

I did contact a very helpful fellow at Antipodes and he said everything looked good at this end and even ran some diagnostics remotely and found only one setting on the Antipodes (the look for new songs setting) that he though might be buggy with Roon so disabled that - to no avail.

Any thoughts are much appreciated- this just started occurring about seven months or so ago.

Cheers,
Tony Abbott
[Email and phone no. removed by mods]

Slight correction … I found that the Music library had been defined twice, once as the default Music Folder, and also as a Watched Folder:

We believe this can cause problems so I disabled the Watched Folder, hoping that might be the cause of the problem.

It appears that it was not. You might check your network speed.

Thanks Tony,
Yes, disabling the watched file did help as usually now it will eventually start up if I’m patient.
My network expert is going to be here Monday, so I’ll see if he is able to speed things up somehow.

I don’t understand how, once it gets past the first couple of tracks, it will usually happily play for hours.

Thank you for the quick reply again - much appreciated!

Hi @Tony_Abbott, if you type www.speedtest.net in your browser address bar you will see the download speed you are getting.

Hi Tony,

Download speed in a couple of tests ranged from 21.3 to 18.6 mps.

Hello @Tony_Abbott, and thanks for your report. Are you able to play to system output of one of your remotes without issue?

Sorry for my delay in answering - but yes, it does happen whether I listen on my iPad or any of my other zones (four of them).
Any suggestions on how I might resolve this, much appreciated.

Do you have another pc or Mac you could turn into a roon server as a test to narrow down the problem? If the symptoms repeat on a different device might be network if they don’t server might be the issue.

I don’t have another Mac to try out as a Roon server, and what with Covid,and my wife in the hospital for back surgery, I’m a bit tied up to try that out.

I suspect there may be an issue with either the Mac software or perhaps even the Antipodes unit I use as the core though.

Thank you for the reply and idea.

1 Like

Hello @Tony_Abbott, next time you’re able to reproduce the issue please reply to this thread with a timestamp of when the issue occurred (in your local time) and the track names you were playing and I’ll enable diagnostics for your account.

Will do, thank you for helping with this issue as it’s quite frustrating. It happens every time I start the playlist, no matter which playlist.
Usually it will stop after one or two songs, and generally I’ve found that if I just leave everything alone, it will continue the playlist in about five or ten minutes, then run for hours before the issue repeats. I’ll try to add a screenshot of what shows up, as this is occurring.
Failing that, when we return home from my wife’s out of town surgery in a couple of weeks I’ll get you a time stamp…
Thanks again.

Add images

1 Like

Hello @Tony_Abbott, sounds like a plan! I’ll keep an eye on this thread for the timestamp.

Ok, happened again this morning (as it usually does when I first start the music) - I hope this screenshot serves as a time stamp. It probably occurred within 40 seconds of me taking this screenshot - but the music resumed in under five minutes.

This is Pacifiic time ( British Columbia, Canada)

So, bad day for this happening - three examples- but the good news is that I have three screen shots showing the different screens that show up when the music stops playing - hopefully this means something to you that I am missing…

Hello @Tony_Abbott,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

1 Like

Thanks very much - really appreciate the assistance…

Hello @Tony_Abbott, I attempted to pull diagnostics from your core but it looks like I’m having some difficulty uploading the report to our servers. Could you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

So, three days after the release of the major update from Roon and I have not had an issue with the music stopping. I hated to jinx myself, but I reported this to the Roon team anyway. Then after another update to solve issue other Roon members were having I had a couple of days of music stopping, or hard to get my playlists going.
A couple more updates in the past week and so far everything now (2021 Feb 25) is working great for the features I use.
I’m guessing whatever the updates involved solved the issues I was having and I am loving some of the new features.
Thanks again for the great support.
Cheers,
Tony

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.