Roon stops playing overnight due to search memory usage [Fixed in Roon Build 898]

No problem
A good guess
Hopefully someone from Roon will stumble across this thread

2 Likes

Are you sure? My Roon works the other way around; if music is playing I get an error message saying the backup couldn’t happen due to music playing. It doesn’t interrupt or stop the music.

1 Like

Yes… I’m sure you are correct.
Maybe I was confused by failed backup’s.

This problem now happens randomly in day when listening
Music stops
Controllers go blank controllers come back after a minute or 2. Song displayed and progress bar is where it stopped. Pressing play resumes the music
Any ideas what it might be in my network?

Thomas
Have a look at the web page on your Roon IP address to make sure that your nucleus is not rebooting itself. There are two uptime timer’s there, one for the Linux OS and one for Roon

Other than that I think that a member of @support will need to get your log files and see 2hat is causing the problems you are seeing.

Thanks Michael I’ll do that

So after checking the Roon web it tells me that
The operating system is been running for 9 days…
It then tells me the “roon server software” has been running for 1 hour and 23 minutes.

This would seem to coordinate with the timing of the issue.

If Nucleus hadn’t rebooted should these two times be the same?

Yes the Roon app itself can be started without a server restart and it looks like your Roon service is crashing and restarting itself, hence your problem.

Hopefully Roon support will pick this up and make a request for your logs. It will help them tell you why it is restarting.
There can be many reasons, including corrupted music file or image file

Michael
Thank you for getting me to this point
Does something like this involve my network or is it on Roons end?

Thomas I can’t speak for Roon, but if the Roon server restarts on its own then that would not seem to be a network issue (at least to my mind).

Music skipping or stopping yes likely to be a network issue. Hopefully someone will pick this up and respond in the next day or two.

Thank you
Found posting about this from 2020
Unfortunately it didn’t seem to get resolved

Thanks, @thomas_clark1, I see what’s going on. Roon is running out of memory on the machine and crashing, but 8GB should be enough for a library of that size. I am discussing theories with the team so we can fix this for a future release.

1 Like

Brian,
Thank you.
Is the “machine” you are referring to the Nucleus?
Sounds as though solution lies with a Roon software adjustment that would be found in a software update?

Yes, sorry, the machine is the Nucleus. And yes, I am hoping this is something that we can address in a software update.

Very good
Thank you for your attention to this

6 posts were split to a new topic: Roon crashes after click on disable multi-part compositions when using MacOS client [Ticket In]

Probably not worth posting as you are aware but nucleus just rebooted again while listening
thank you

Hi All,

Roon build 898 is available and contains a fix for this issue. Let us know how it goes!

Brian
Excellent
Thank you for letting me know

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.