Roon stops playing suddenly and repeatedly music from my storage (doesn't happen while streaming through Tidal)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Desktop PC running Windows 10 Pro /I5 QuadCore 2,67Ghz, 16GB DDR, SSD 450 GB, Some Other HDD storage with music files

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
500 MBPS Optical Fibre Internet Connection, TPLink Switch
PC Desktop running Roon 1.7 (555 stable), wired to TPLink Switch, by its turn connected to fiber router by wire

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Devialet Expert Pro 140 wired to TPLink Switch

Description Of Issue
Roon stops playing suddenly and repeatedly music from my storage (doesn’t happen while streaming through Tidal).

Everytime I try to play some storage music, from SDD or HDD local discs, regardless the file extensions (DSD64, FLAC, WAV), the playback drops this happens repeatedly every X seconds or sometimes minutes, restart playing again after X seconds. Sometimes I try to pause when it occurs, wait some seconds to hit play again and keep listening.

This is really annoying. I’ve already tried to tweak some firewall settings in Windows and even shut it down manually in the router but anything worked.

Please just give me some advices to solve this really annoying issue.

Regards
Ruben

Hi guys

After some reading on troubleshooting section i manage to solve this issue by adjusting audio configurations, increasing DAC´s buffer size.

Sorry for boring you with such a rookie issue. All i had to do was reading the manual.

You can close the post now.

Sheers
Rúben

Sorry guys, too soon. It seems that the issue continues.

After some time listening through Devialet Air it was working without drops, but eventually droped out again. It seems to get worse with Devialet ETH.

Any other configuration that i must try besides resync delay? Can´t find exclusive mode by the way…

Looking forward to hear some feedback from you.

Thanks
Ruben

Hello @Ruben_Sousa, are you experiencing these issues when playing to system output of your core
?

Hi Nuwriy,

It´s happening when playing out of the Core, almost exclusively to Devialet Expert Pro and with DSD64 and High Resolution (FLAC 96KHZ/24bit or MQA, for example) playback files.

If i try to play the same files in my smartphone (Samsung S8+) or in my Desktop, where the Core is, i dont have the same problem, as the files are downsampled, so they arent so demanding in terms of resolution.

But i tried to put some DSD64 albums on a SSD where Windows and Roon are installed and i dont experience the issue. I stsrt to believe it is a hard drive disc related problem. So i bought a 1TB Samsung SSD and i will put my Roon collection there, hopping it can solve this issue permanently.

I´ll give more info as soon as iam having more conclusions.

Sheers
Ruben

1 Like

Hi

Problem solved. Just finished installing the SSD 1TB from Samsung and testing some DSD64 albums stored there and were playing fantasticaly without drop outs.

So it was really a hard disc drive problem, as more high resolution the files played, worst results in terms of drop outs.

Right now everything is just working properly, Mission accomplished.

Best regards
Ruben

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for the information about the solution. If you have further issues in the future please let me know!

You are one of the relatively few people to think that your system may be having an issue and go looking rather than insisting it is a Roon fault. Really good diagnosis :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Hi

Thanks mate. I always try to bring the issue and it´s solution, in everything in my life as it is a great way to keep learning something. Not always succeed but when it´s possible it brings me satisfaction.

In this case it was possible| Entering my second year using Roon and all i can tell so far is great. It´s being a great discovery and surely a investment with great ROI.

Sheers
Ruben

2 Likes

Hi guys

just to leave a small update about this issue. After some hours listening DSD64 files, after having installed the SSD, i´ve discovered that once in a while, the drop outs continued, despite less frequently.

So i found out that, although the SSD contributed to help solving the issue it didnt resume it only with a hard drive disc issue. I´ve discovered that Devialet Expert Pro has being some troubles playing high resolution music locally stored through ethernet connection and havent been able to resolve it completely. The issue is not so bad if you playback the same files through Devialet AIR, and Devialet instead of trying to solve it with a firmware update, is advising customers to use Devialet AIR integration with Roon to overcome drop outs. And i can confirm that, in fact, it works better through Devialet AIR and tunning the buffer size at 5000ms. With this configuration i didnt have more drop outs.

Hope this update can help Roon technical support to create a post explaning how to solve this issue for share with other users permanently.

Sheers
Ruben

Since this thread has been marked ‘Solved’ I don’t think @support will look at it again.

Which is why I have tagged them in this post.

1 Like

@Ruben_Sousa @xxx thanks guys! I’ll bring this thread up to the team so we can spread the word!

1 Like