Roon stuck during audio analysis

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

i7 32GB RAM, Files live on this machine
Windows 2012 Server
Roon: 100600416 1.6 (build 416) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Hardwired LAN. Core and Files are on the same machine

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Steinberg UR824

Description Of Issue

Hi,
I am trialing roon at the moment and have pointed it at my music collection.
The initial scan of all the files went well, but I’ve noticed it had got stuck during ‘Backgroud audio analysis’ .

Here’s a pic: https://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q782/gwpt/Roon-stuck_zpswszrb5on.png

Just wondering what to do, to ‘unstick’ it

Thanks
Guy

I’ve had this happen to me periodically, restarting the Roon core process generally takes care of it.

Hi @gwpt,

Since experiencing this issue have you tried rebooting your Core machine? If so, are you still experiencing this issue?

So, I rebooted my server about an hour ago, and it’s been stuck on 0/143025 ever since (I noticed that my old numbers 144151- 1123 = 143028, which is 3 more than what it seems to have started on, not sure what happen to the missing 3!)

See pic for current status: https://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q782/gwpt/RoonStuck2_zps1p9opeeo.png

Are there logs somewhere, where I could see if it’s stuck on a specific file or something like that?

so, sadly, reboot didn’t seem to help :frowning:

Hi @gwpt,

I’d like to enable some diagnostics on your account so we can take a look at what you’re experiencing here. Before I do this, may I ask that you please do the following and make a note of the time you do each:

• Reboot your Core machine.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  • Reboot your Core machine once more.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

This should allow the team to gain some insight into what you’re experiencing in the report. Once you’ve done this let me know the timestamps and I’ll enable diagnostics on your account. When the diagnostics report is uploaded I’ll send it over to our team for analysis.

Hi Dylan,
ok, here are the times:

• Reboot your Core machine. -> 8:34am 29/5/2019 UTC
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes. -> Roon started 8:40am 29/5/2019 UTC (left on for 10 mins)
  • Reboot your Core machine once more. -> 8:50am 29/5/2019 UTC
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes. -> Roon started 8:55am 29/5/2019 UTC (left Running)

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Thanks, @gwpt!

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Hi @dylan,
i don’t suppose there are any updates on this?
thanks
Guy

Hi @gwpt,

Apologies for the delay here! I spoke with the team about their analysis of the diagnostics report.

It appears that there were a couple files which were tripping up our analysis which is why you were seeing this. One thing to note here, though, is that even if analysis isn’t proceeding analysis will still be run “on demand”, meaning that when you start playback of a track that hasn’t been analyzed, it will happen at that time. You can disable analysis in Settings and this will still occur.

The tracks in question are as follows:

X:\UnifyData\Public\MP3\mp3Manager\Nelly\Ei.mp3
X:\UnifyData\Public\MP3\mp3Manager\Idol, Billy\Mony Mony.mp3

You can try removing these from your watched folder and see if that helps resolve things here.

Thanks,
Dylan

HI @dylan,
Looks like that helped for a few hundred more files but it appears stuck again.
Is there a way for me to see where it’s stuck? I don’t want to keep bugging you guys!

Also, I was running 2 cores for analysis and I assume that is why you found 2 stuck files? Because I just increased my number of cores to 3 and it did resume. I assume if it finds another ‘bad’ file it will halt again

Cheers
Guy

Hi @gwpt,

Unfortunately there is no way to automatically find where things are getting stuck. The best option here is likely to disable background analysis and the library will be analyzed “on demand” instead.

hmmm, ok, that’s a bit disappointing…

an easy fix for a future release:could a simple text log file on the server with ‘started’/‘stopped’ processing file entries. then it would be easy to identify which file got stuck

is there any way this can be added?

I assume it means that these stuck files (which i dont know which they are) won’t play properly?
the main reason for wanting to know, is so I can remove them, so as to have a ‘clean’ collection

thanks
Guy

Hi @gwpt — I sent you a PM here on the Community site

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.