Roon stuck importing new music files

I’ve had Roon for several months with no issues.

However, since the last time I added some new ripped CDs to the NAS, it’s stuck importing even though it says that 21 new files have been identified, imported and categorized. I’m not aware of any questions marks being involved, though I wouldn’t know how to check.

I tried shutting down Roon and restarting the NAS: no effect.

flagging @support for you here and moving to the support threads

Highly likely there is a rip file thats got corrupted is my guess. Logs will probably be looked at by the roon guys.

Joel, I will defer to Roon, but you might want to go ahead and provide any additional detail or screenshots. For example, do you rip tracks directly into your Roon watched folder? If so, I’ve read this is discouraged. Rip them first to a local folder, then transfer them to the Roon folder when complete and tagged.

My 2c.

Anything in the failed files list?

Hi @Joel_Tatelman,

Can you please let me know some more info regarding your setup? Is your NAS the Core in this case or what device is hosting your Core? What are the 21 new files, are they all from one artist or multiple artists? Do these files show up under Roon’s Skipped Files Section? Can you post a screenshot of your import spinner after opening it? This should look something like this:

I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. I will take a look to see if we can uncover where Roon is struggling, but do let me know your answer to my above questions.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris, I replied from within my e-mail client, but that failed, too! Not a good computer day.

In answer to your questions:

The files do not show up in Roon’s skipped files section.

I’m using a Qnap TS-253Be with 4 GB of RAM. The Roon Core is hosted by the NAS: it resides on an SSD drive connected to a powered USB hub that is connected to the NAS.

I don’t know how to take or post a screen shot, but where your screen shot has “File Copying for Import” mine has “Rescanning Files (1 of 21),” and its been stuck like that for several hours now. Where your screen shot has “Adding Music To Library: Complete,” mine has “Adding Music to Library: Of 37 tracks, 37 added, 37 identified.” Both, of course, have the spinning icon to the left.

I should perhaps also point out that none of this seems to affect my ability to play the files in question. I am doing that as I type.

That occurred to me, but all the recently uploaded files/albums play without issue.

No; I always rip CDs (using the DB Power Amps software) to the drive of my computer. Then I upload the new file(s) to the NAS. That’s worked without issues since before subscribing to Roon.

Hi @Joel_Tatelman,

Thanks for confirming that information for me. I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. I will start a case for you with our QA team who can take a closer look at what’s going on. I appreciate your patience until your case reaches their queue and will be sure to let you know what they say.

Thanks,
Noris

Edit: Confirming diagnostics have reached our servers sucessfully

Thanks, Noris. Shall await further news. Joel.

Hi Noris, A friend was helping me add some files to my NAS and, when we were finished that task, Roon was no longer “stuck importing new music files”. I wish I could explain why for the benefit of other Roon users who might encounter a similar problem, but neither I nor my friend (a computer engineer!) can figure out how the problem was solved. Even so, I’d be curious to learn what, if anything, the diagnostics on your end revealed. . . Regards, Joel Tatelman.

Hi @Joel_Tatelman,

Thanks for letting me know that the issue is solved. I see that your case is still pending review by the QA team but either way glad to hear that it has solved itself. I will be leaving your thread open for the time being and if it occurs again let me know and if I hear back from QA and diagnostics reveal anything I will be sure to inform you. Thanks!

– Noris