Roon systematically not identifying artists of albums loaded from iTunes

Time to try to solve this annoying problem.
My CDs, files etc are loaded into itunes, and now I’m using roon to play back.
Even though the info is “right” in itunes, roon is getting it wrong.
For example, I just loaded into iTunes a compilation of 2 CDs by Count Basie.
In iTunes, the track name, album by artist, and artist are all set.
But in Roon, it seems to take the artist name and prepend it to the album name, and set “unknown artist” instead of Count Basie.
(See attached screen shots).
It does this for many albums, so maybe there is a setting somewhere that will correct his (and not make me hand edit thousands of albums in Roon).
Help appreciated!

Hi @Peter_Galvin — Thanks for sharing your observation here, the report is appreciated.

Can you please provide full screenshots of the folders where the albums are stored? You can read more about Roon’s recommended file structure here.

Is this something that you’re seeing for all albums that are coming from iTunes, or just albums that have multiple discs?

Regards,
Dylan

Hi Dylan,
It happens with single CDs as well. Maybe 1 in 10 albums shows up this way…
More screen shots for you.

Hey @Peter_Galvin — Thanks for the information and screenshots. I appreciate the additional insight!

I’d like to get a copy of the media and look at the tags, I’ll send you a PM shortly on instructions for getting this to me.

Also, can I kindly ask you to do the following:

• Please send me screenshots of your library import settings? You can find this by going to Settings > Library > Import Settings within Roon.
  • Can you give some insight on how these audio files were ripped? Was this done by iTunes?

Regards,
Dylan

Thanks Dylan.
Uploading now. Should be there within a few minutes.
Yes ripped by itunes.
Below are my roon import settings. Should I switch them all to “prefer file”?

Hi @Peter_Galvin — Thanks for the additional information here. I appreciate it!

I wanted to confirm that the files have been received. I am going to get them over to the tech team so they can look into tags and see if we’re able to nail down what exactly is causing your observed behavior here. Once they get back to me I’ll be back with an update for you. Thanks for your patience here!

Regards,
Dylan

Hi @Peter_Galvin — Thank you for your continued patience as we troubleshoot the behavior you’re experiencing.

Both myself and a member of our technical team were able to import the files you provided to Roon and have everything import properly. My Metadata preferences for albums section in setup looks exactly the same as in your screenshot, and I have Metadata preferences for tracks all set to Prefer Roon.

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

If you’re able to do so, please remove the tracks from Roon, use the Clean Up Library option in Settings > Library to remove and data that Roon has about this album from the database, and then re-rip and import the files again. Once this is done, provide the timestamps for when the import took place.

Regards,
Dylan

HI Dylan. I removed the album from itunes, and did the clean up library in roon.
(un)fortunately, when I ripped the CD, it was properly understood by roon.
In the future when I rip CDs I’ll note the time and if the problem reoccurs get back in touch.
Thanks for the help on this…

I’ve been experiencing this more and more with Tidal added albums.

Artist ‘Nation of Language’, album ‘What does the normal man feel?’ is simply not identified but the album and track info is all there. I believe this has occurred more in 1.5 than 1.4.

Roon found this album/track via Radio function so obviously it ‘knows’ about it but isn’t presenting the data.

Perhaps the DBs that Roon uses simply don’t know this band yet. http://nationoflanguage.com/

Hi, just had the problem again, of adding an album via CD rip into itunes, and roon misidentifying the album (unknown artist).

Thanks for the update, @Peter_Galvin!

Can you please give some details on the album that Roon did not identify correctly? Are your import settings still the same as in the screenshot above?

-Dylan

Willie Nelson, Always on my Mind.
Yes should still be the same.

Thanks, @Peter_Galvin,

If you go to Album Editor > Identify Album, are you able to correctly identify the album?

-Dylan

Just going there the artist is “unknown artist” and the album is “willie nelson - always on my mind”. That doesn’t find the album. If I manually change the artist to willie nelson and the title to “always on my mind” it shows up as the first match.

Still having this problem. Any ideas?

For some albums that have this problem artist is unknown and album has “album-artist” as name within roon “identify album”. If I fix those and try to re-identify it mostly works, but - seemingly always it decides one track is > 1 hour long.
See the screen shots below.
Itunes has the track as the right length…

Hey @Peter_Galvin,

I just wanted to reach out and let you know that the team is currently investigating the behavior you’ve described above where the track length during identification is different than the actual track length.

To aid in the investigation, we were hoping you’d share this album with us so we can take a closer look. Ideally, you can zip up the entire folder and send me private message containing a shared dropbox link. If you don’t have Dropbox or need another way to send the media, just let me know.

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi Dylan, sorry did I drop the ball on this?

Hi @Peter_Galvin,

No worries! If you can share one of the albums that is experiencing this behavior with us we can take a closer look.

Please send us over the album along with screenshots and a description of the issue you’re seeing in Roon and we can check things out.

Thanks!

Here is the dropbox share of the tracks, as exported from itunes via drag and drop:

[Link removed by Support]

In itunes it all looks fine after ripping from cd:
Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 9.27.27 PM.png

But in roon, the album is unidentified, and the album name is the artist - album name with artist blank

Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 9.27.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-11-28 at 9.27.38 PM.png

This happens a lot when I rip a CD to itunes and roon auto syncs from my itunes library. Very annoying!

Thanks.

—Peter