Roon takes forever to load cover art while paging through the browser

That’s a bummer. The only thing I can suggest is to try a different version of the Intel graphics driver - some seem to work, and others don’t. It’s a PITA.

I’m not too hot about that. Others have reported that they had to switch drivers after every Windows update. Doesn’t seem very practical to me.

I know - I’ve had the issue come and go over the past couple of years. It’s only on one PC that it happens, but it’s still irritating. However, as has been said, there’s not a lot that the Roon team can do about it - it’s some interaction between the Intel driver and the OpenGL library…

I guess I’ll have to avoid minimizing for now…

Hey guys, I’ll count myself lucky but I’d been experiencing this exact same behaviour with it taking >30 seconds just for roon to respond after attempt to scroll right with album covers present on the screen but instant for anything else. For whatever stroke of good luck restarting my machine totally fixed the issue (Lenovo x230 with the intel chipset).

As for the white screen I tried every updated driver a few months ago and finally gave up, trying my best to never minimize, which works until I’m working on the machine and need to see my desktop. Is there anything you guys could do at your end to fix or improve this issue to avoid having to kill roon completely and restart? I know you keep fobbing the intel chips off as ancient technology but my i7 runs superbly in all my graphic and web design applications and I’d really struggle to justify another computer just because one application has an openGL driver issue). It seems a shame to kill the music house wide for the sake of a white screen when I need to find a folder on my desktop.

Some ideas (that may or may not be useless):
Isolate the music playing functions from the GUI in roon core so the GUI can be restarted without killing the music
Enabling a forced redraw option for “legacy” machines that refreshes the output every x seconds
Having a DirectX draw option for windows

Finally, my fat fingers do still slightly miss the paw-masher on the ipad but I will look past that to say absolutely everything else about the new queue system and customizable play buttons is absolutely perfect. Please never, ever change anything about it again - its simply amazing - great Christmas present :smiley:

I am a new user just trying to get started. Synced up library no issues.
I have the same issue on loading album art. I have 1250 albums and the only way I can get them to load is go screen by screen alphabetically with the system stalling out until it has loaded that page.

I have windows 10 on i5 4GB Ram x 64. SSD.

Should I try to de-install and re-install the X32 version too?

Question: Once all the artwork is loaded is it stored in the database or needs to load again in which case I will be back in the same loop?

I have seen the white screen issue too.

Remote on IPAD loads artwork immediately.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi,

I just reloaded the X32 software on my X64 machine and it fixed the artwork issue.

Thank you for sharing your issue and solution. It certainly helped me out as a new user. I would like to know why this occurred and if it is another issue waiting to happen (running a different software not matched to my system)?

Is this a know software bug or something not right on my machine?

Is there anything else I should be doing or checking?

Thank you

As stated above, this is an known issue caused by an interaction between some versions of the Intel Graphics driver and the OpenGL library that Roon uses for its UI.

OK thanks Geoff.
I tested the new X32 version for 5 hours and it seems stable. Roon is really a stunning application coming from JRiver. I shall complete the purchase from my trial version. Will have to consider an upgrade of my hardware anyway.

Very happy.

Thanks again…

Just in case someone else lands on this thread looking for a solution. This work around is only safe for libraries up to about 110k tracks or so. Seems like it has affected very few as it would have to be a perfect storm to have both the wrong graphics card/driver and a library above that threshold.

The symptoms are database corruptions in your logs. The solution is running your core on x64 roon and your remotes on x32 roon.

2 Likes

Thanks, Tony, sounds like good advice. So, install the x64 version of Roon Server on the same PC as the x32 Roon, and use the latter as the Control…

Yep. That’s exactly what I do. Two roon’s on the same PC. Everything works great now. Never a problem. I’m not a very technical person so I needed some hand holding to actually do that. Everything has to be done in the right order. There will be instructions in a previous thread somewhere. It’s the sort of thing that should find it’s way into the KB as it really looks like failing hardware and is the devil to diagnose.

It’s worse than that, he’s dead, Jim.
I had this same issue on my Dell laptop (i7-2630, 8Gb, 1Tb SSD) that’s been driving me nuts. It has Intel HD 3000 graphics, which is not supported for Windows 10. Laptop is fine and speedy for all my other applications (mainly Office365).
The Intel thread I found here seems to capture the OpenGL/Intel HD graphics issue we are seeing in Roon: https://communities.intel.com/thread/117626
I suspect Microsoft will not attempt to fix outdated hardware compatibility issues.
The laptop does have an NVidia graphics chip, so I may try that (except it makes the fan go into hyper mode).
I may also try the 32bit Roon, although that feels like a backward step (just 64K tracks in my library).
For Intel HD4000 users there is this earlier driver that seems to work: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/intel-hd-graphics-4000-driver-has-slow-performance/0bd9852c-3bbb-4d32-817d-0079b344d113 Though of course I cannot try it myself.
Shame I have to now think of ditching the laptop after years of great service and still going strong.
It’s worse that that, it’s unsupported, Jim.