Roon & Technics SU-G30

Latest stable Roon core on dedicated MacBook Pro (Early 2011, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3) with applied DSP/Convolution Filter

FMG (altibox) fiber to 1000/100 mbit LAN/Wi-fi

All connected via LAN/CAT8 - 230 Mbps download/ 430 Mbps upload

Technics SU-G30 (FW ver. 1.30) with MQA decoding switched on. Input for Roon core: USB-A

Dear Roon,

I see that you have the Technics SU-G30 in your tested devices list, and I wonder if there is a chance for it to be able to properly process MQA files once a DSP/room correction via Convolution Filter/ is applied in Roon. With my setup as per today, it seems that I have to choose between either pure MQA (no DSP, which makes the use of Roon a bit obsolete) or Roon with DSP (without further MQA processing in the amp’s DAC), which apparently falls in your favor. I find the second option to improve more significantly the overall SQ in my room; however, I wish to have both in order to justify the current investment in SW and HW. Perhaps you plan to extend your approved devices list (including the Technics’ ones) or maybe I should seek a replacement of my amp (which I don’t wish to consider yet)? – Would be nice to hear from you.

Best!

Miroslav

Set Roon to the following:
Go into device setup and set your DAC to renderer only.
Go into advanced setup and ensure the core MQA decoder is on.

With those settings Roon should do the first unfold, apply your DSP then forward the MQA signalling for your Technics device to finish the job. This assumes the Technics can just render.

In my opinion, the Technics cannot yet split the job of decoding and rendering, or at least it doesn’t indicate that it does. No matter how I ‘feed’ the stream, the amp doesn’t show a sign of having anything to do with MQA, and the only way of obtaining its MQA functionality remains when the convolution filter in Roon is disabled. Anyway, I’ll keep the setting you recommend with the slight hope that the amp does render ‘secretly’…
Thanks!

Hi @Miroslav_Tsankov,

Can you please share a screenshot of your Signal Path when you have MQA content playing and a screenshot of your Device Setup tab for the zone (including the advanced section)?

Hi!
Here are the requested images.
Thanks,
miro

And an image of the amp* while playing MQA.
When I disable the convolution filter and switch in Roon’s Device Setup the MQA Capabilities to Decoder and Renderer, the amp indicates MQA instead of LPCM with bit rate 192 kHz in the particular case.

*The actual version of the Technics SU-G30 FW is 1.29 (not 1.30 as mentioned above).

Hello @Miroslav_Tsankov,

It appears that the Technics SU-G30 does not support MQA Renderer only mode, that’s why it is only showing “96kHz” when you enable DSP in Roon.

Most “Full Decoder” devices are compatible with MQA Renderer only mode, however some do not implement the MQA spec correctly and it appears that this device may be one of them.

I recommend reaching out to Technics about this issue, we do not have the SU-G30 in-house to test with.

-John

Thanks John,

I’ll write to Technics. Will keep you posted if they return the ball with something regarding your part.

Best!
miro

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.