Roon temporarily unresponsive before showing info about new song playing

The problem: the next song is starting to play normally, but the Roon app hangs up for some time before it shows the song artwork and status
On opening the app is fast, normal, but with time the problem become worse, the app on starting new song is unresponsive for longer and longer time. Restarting the app helps.
The problem is not serious when playing from the local library,

All latest Roon versions were affected, Tidal loading usually no problem. Roon Dropbox back up library size is 1,7 GB. Is it too big? Why it’s so big?

How can solve this slow behavior?
Thanks, Jack

That backup size is fine. My backups are about 2.5 GBs.

Hello @Jack-Ptta,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to take a look over this issue with you. Can you please provide a description of your setup using this link as a guide?

Can you confirm if this issue exists on all of your devices or just on the Core? Do you by any chance have additional devices that you can check for this behavior on other than the Core (i.e. Roon Remote)? Please let me know when possible!

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
Thank you for follow up.
It seems that this issue exists only on the core. I tried to use remote on iPhone and iPad and there are no delays whatsoever. On the core however after opening no delays, but with time playing many songs the delay showing the current song info last to even over 20 seconds. During that time Roon is not responding. Restarting the core app usually resets the issue.

My system is Roon 1.5/334 on Mac Mini 2012 i7, MacOS High Sierra. Issue exists while playing on any output, but usually I use USB to Pro-Ject Pre Box S2.
The same problem exists whether playing songs from local library on external USB hard disk or when streaming Tidal.
Thanks,
Jack

Hello @Jack-Ptta,

Thanks for confirming that the issue only exists in the Core. Is there anything else running in the background which could negatively impact Roon performance here? Any large applications that could be limiting the amount of system resources you have available?

Furthermore, I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostic mode on your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

I kindly ask for you to reproduce this issue and let me know the exact time in your country that you notice this issue occur at. I can then cross-reference the diagnostic info and see if there are any errors preventing Roon from functioning normally around those times.

Please let me know when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
Nothing taking resources running in the background. Memory is 8 GB.
Last time the issue appeared yesterday 22.08 during 21.00-23.30 Bangkok time (+7) after already playing Roon for 2 hours. The delay before new song status and album artwork appeared was from 1 to 20 seconds after the new song started playing. Usually it was about 15 sec. Seems however that the delay was increasing when songs where skipped and shortened when songs played to the end.
Thanks,
Jack

Hello @Jack-Ptta,

Thank you for providing those timestamps, I can confirm that we have recieved the diagnostic information from your machine and I have started a case with our QA team regarding your issues. I will be sure to let you know once QA has completed their report and has passed it back to me. I appreciate your patience in the meantime until your case is reviewed.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Jack-Ptta,

I have received the report back from QA and they would like to clarify a few things:

• Can you please describe the issue a little more in depth? Does the entire Roon Interface fail to load or what exactly is hanging before showing the artwork and the status? Do Play/Pause controls still work or are those unresponsive as well? Does any part of the Interface disappear?
    It would be very helpful if you could record a video or a screen recording of what exactly you are seeing as to narrow this issue down a bit.

• They want to confirm if the issue exists when System Output is selected as the destination zone, can you please let me know if you experience this issue when only using system output for a while?

Thanks,
Noris

Do you have an SSD running Roon?

Yes, Mac mini is running on SSD

Hi Noris,

• Mac mini is working normally, only the Roon app hangs, when clicking on it the macOS beach ball appears. However, playback starts without delay. Room app seems to record some commands during that time, like e.g. browsing albums, and will execute them after it become responsive again. Nothing disappear, just does not change.
  • I didn’t check it with system output selected (actually I have it disabled), but the issue exists on optical out and USB.

I can check how Room behaves with system output selected and also can make screen recording, but only after I come back from 2 weeks holiday.
Thanks, Jack

Hello @Jack-Ptta,

Thanks for expanding on the issue description, I have added that as a note to your case with QA.

I think the best course of action will be to wait until you are back from vacation and have physical access to the machine before continuing troubleshooting but I will let you know if there are any clues from QA’s side after I leave this note.

Hope you have a great holiday and just let us know when you are ready to continue troubleshooting!

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Thank you for your support. I used Roon for last few days and the issue is gone! I have not experienced any delays showing the artwork and status on the core. Is there something you corrected or it just stopped bad behavior by itself :wink:

However I have another issue of some inconvenience: the next/ previous song cannot be controlled by infrared remote (Harmony remote). Play/Stop is working OK. Next/Previous commands are working on iTunes, Tidal apps. Also, when I am using USB output to Jet-pro Pre Box S2 Digital, the Pre Box remote next/previous commands are working on iTunes and Tidal, but not working on Roon.
Any way to fix it?

With thanks, Jack

Hello @Jack-Ptta,

Glad to hear that the issue has resolved itself! I don’t recall any artwork changes we made in the newest b339 update so it is possible that it was something environmental. As for your second question, it seems that it is a known limitation on the S2 Digital since we are unable to emulate the keystrokes. Our CTO discusses this issue in the following thread:

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Noris