Roon thrashing CPU

I am running a Roon remote on a Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 2.4Ghz 8-Core Intel i9, with 32GB of RAM, so it’s a strong machine. Running Catalina 10.15.7.

RaatServer is killing me. I came into my office this morning and my fans were spinning like mad. This machine never runs the fans hard unless serious computation is happening.

Found RaatServer is going mad, with 4 hours of CPU time since last night when I turned it on, and using 99.4% of CPU with nothing happening.

-Dave

Something strange is going on.

I’m running Roon remote on a 2018 MacBook Pro, 2.9 gHz 6-core Intel i9, with 32 GB of RAM on Big Sur. RAATServer is currently at 0.3% of CPU, Roon is at 3.3%. I’m working in Adobe Creative Suite with Roon playing and the fan has not kicked on.

You may want to move this over to the support section.

Yes, currently Raat is using 0% of CPU and Roon is using 1.3%, but periodically goes nuts.

Is it a new install? Perhaps there’s some activity related to metadata and artwork?

@acbarn has it I Think

couple of questions

Is this a new install
if so how many albums in your library
If BIG , say >2000 albums the metadata load will take a while , depending on size up to 2 days

Goto Settings > Library > Background Audio Analysis and check how many cores are dedicated

The more that number the more “thrashing”

The best bet is set this to “Throttled” while the PC is in use then to “max” overnight to get the job done.

Once the initial install is done revert to Throttled , the PC should then idle other than periodic metadata top ups.

This is my windows data , 10 mins after reboot

It takes RAM but not CPU