Roon, TIDAL and MQA

As I’ve been selecting, playing, and switching between the Tidal app and Roon, I’ve been experiencing an issue where the Tidal app doesn’t “give up” its exclusive use of audio. Inconsistent behavior that happens only sometimes. Takes a “Quit” on the Tidal app when it happens.

Anyone else getting their Tidal queue killed when “Add to Queue” is used in Tidal? When I “Add To Play Queue” in the Tidal app, it puts my selection up next. The same behavior as selecting “Play Next.” I guess I should complain to Tidal.

Fistly, sorry if I have missed the answer to my question in this rather long trail of very good information…

I don’t have an MQA DAC so while waiting for Roon 1.3 to release I was curious to see what is already available in Tidal in MQA/Master quality but I don’t seem to be able to find those albums in the “What’s new” section (see enclosed screen shot)

I have a Tidal premium subscription and it says “TIDAL HiFi” under my user name, running on a Windows 10 system. (See enclosed screen shot for version information)

I do not get prompted to restart Tidal (but I have logged off and on again in case that makes a difference (it doesn’t)
Located in Sweden, if that is relevant.

Happy for someone to shed a light on what I need to to in order to get the “MASTER” version of Tidal up and running.

Thanks in advance.

Mine is the tab to the right of ‘top 20’

‘Masters’ in mine. ‘Svenskt’ in yours.

My guess is the Swedish factor is quite relevant here :wink:

Thanks Steve. ‘Svenskt’ means ‘Swedish’ so nothing to do with MQA/Masters, as your winky smiley probably indicated.

I’ve read references to ‘downloading the new Tidal app’. What does this mean in a (Chrome) Browser context? Just a refresh of the page or something else? Have tried refresh as well and that changes nothing…

Still looking for the correct way of finding the Master albums…

Hi

I think you need the tidal windows app for MQA deciding, the tidal webpage in a browser doesn’t do it.

Cheers

Chris

1 Like

www.tidal.com/download

Install and follow previous instructions

Haha, no it was more that I couldnt read what it meant so I was completely wrong.

As has been said, you need the App.

Well, that was easy :slight_smile:

The installed app rather than the browser based Tidal did the trick.

Many thanks!

I know this is not about to change but why the mcjuices can’t tidal set up mqa decoding in whatever form of access method? Be it web browser, mobile app. Being tied to the desktop app at all times as the only way for this to work is frankly rubbish and if they want it to truly spread outside of us fussy audio types they need to address it…
I say this as one who never works directly off the core which I have running in a qnap server

Headless mqa decoding or some such trickery!

I live in hope and expectation of headless 1.3 mqa decoding. Or the next release… or tidal to improve things for which I will not be holding my breath.

Don’t bother answering folks I’m just having a little whinge :joy:

Why oh why oh why! It’s an outrage, disgusted of Tumbridge Wells…:rage:

Feeling better now lol :sunglasses:

Yeah well I’m ‘disgusted of Kingston’ so there!

1 Like

I’m waiting to hear what Mrs Trellis has to say, reckon she’ll be aperplectic …

I’m curious if others have found this issue. Attached are 2 screen captures of Gene Clark - No Other. One is Tidal playing the album (from the MASTERS section) and the other one, the album has been favourited and played in Roon. This looks like this album is just a redbook version and NOT a MQA version, curious how this happens and if this is normal for others to have found.

1 Like

44/16, is CD quality. Look for other versions on Roon. The MQA version may be hidden.

Why on earth would that seem like an acceptable idea to Tidal! Exactly how hard would it be for Tidal to give MQA albums a unique tag like ooh maybe MQA I am not sure the powers at Tidal are capable of running a bath let alone anything else.

Rant over.

Russ

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more Russ, I had this happen to me a couple of times.
You already have an Album in your library and import the MQA version but it doesn’t replace the original in Roon. Click ‘Other Versions’ and there it is. Only then do you find it in the ‘Overview’ screen.
I hope the soon 1.3 Release will fix this. But who knows.
Chris

Actually in Tidal there is only one version of “No Other” and that is the “Master” version and if they actually just converted a CD to MQA or mis-metadata for this to be a “MASTER”, personally I see this as a major error and only shows how easily they can mislead people with “MASTER” when in fact it is not.

IMO, this doesn’t need fixing. I prefer software not to automatically override existing conditions that I have put in place. Far better for Roon to add a new or different version as an Other Version than for it to automatically assume that the version I just made a favorite in Tidal, or the version that I just added to my Watch Folder should be the new Primary version.

For example, I have many hi-res FLAC files from box sets of albums that are Primary in my Roon album list. For some of those, I finally got around to adding my vinyl rips of those same albums to my music folder. I don’t want those rips to be Primary in Roon, but I do want them available as another version when the mood strikes me to listen to them. Roon should not make the newly added versions Primary just because they’re newest. Ditto for Tidal.

That said, I am eagerly awaiting a way in Roon, or Tidal, or Roon and Tidal to easily discover and add MQA album versions to my Library. The way things work now is, to say the least, difficult.

Agreed. Just because an album is MQA or high res does not mean that it is the best version of that album, nor should Roon assume so. I prefer to keep adding different versions, all displayed separately, then choose among those versions at my discretion.

AJ

1 Like

I don’t think there is any intension to mislead, it’s just early days and we are learning.

The MQA files should be tagged clearly I agree. But it will be a 24 bit file and you only have to look.
The discussion here makes this clear also and highlights current quirks in the software.

I am sure with Roon 1.3 things will change. (No knowledge)

I take the point of not replacing High Res files or any locally held files perhaps with Roon files but I still think downloading a Roon MQA file should replace (Make Priority) a Roon CD file and hide it if you have chosen that option.
In this scenario no one will lose as long as we understand the protocol.

Thoughts, Chris