Roon - Tidal Login Fail [Resolved - disabled VPN]

Did the latest Roon release (B610) have any effect?

Improvements and Bug Fixes for Build 610:

• Smoother connection when connecting to the core
  • Improved TIDAL token behavior to prevent unnecessary manual login retries

Unfortunately, not. Just can’t get Tidal login to work through Roon. I can log out of Tidal, reset credentials and it looks good until it tries to launch Tidal inside Roon. Then it fails again. Tidal alone works just fine.

Hello @Brian_McGregor, and my apologies for the troubles here. So you’ve updated everything to 610 and rebooted? Have you tried another browser as your default for the machine you’re using to log into TIDAL via Roon?

Hello @nuwriy - Yes all devices are updated to 1.7 build 610. All devices have been rebooted. As of yesterday, I was successful logging into Tidal through Roon, and it did stay connected for a while. But the connection still drops within a few hours. Usually, now selecting “retry” is successful in connecting. So, things have improved somewhat, but it is still not stable enough to be reliable all day long.
To control Roon, we are using multiple devices: Android (Samsung S9) with Roon app, iPhone 8S with Roon app, iPad Mini 4 with Roon app. Windows 10 Pro with Roon app. The core is running on Windows 10 Pro machine hardwired to network.
I don’t understand your question about default browser for Tidal login. Doesn’t that process happen from Roon, Settings, Services, Tidal. That setup can happen from any machine with Roon, so browser could be any of many, depending on the device. But result is the same, regardless of device.

Hello @Brian_McGregor, so when you sign into TIDAL, we’re using your default browser to make the connection. We’ve seen some luck with changing the default browser and trying the login process again. If you could please do this and let me know what browser you had, what you moved to, and provide a timestamp and the type of device you do this on, I’d like to enable diagnostics and get a report over to our team to take a look.

@nuwriy thank you for continuing to look into this.
As of now, I have changed the following:
Roon Server: Default changed from Microsoft Edge to Chrome (and restarted Roon Server)
Samsung S9: Default changed from Chrome to Samsung Internet
iPad Mini: Had Chrome installed. Can’t figure out how to change default, so deleted Chrome.
Windows Laptop: Default changed from Microsoft Edge to Chrome.Screenshot_20200827-190249_Roon|243x500
Screen shot is from Samsung phone. When I select “Retry” is works for a little while, then comes up again. At least it lets me get something playing. But, then if I want to change and need to “Retry” to connect again before selecting different music.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Tidal login failed was back on the screen in the morning.

Hello @Brian_McGregor, I spoke to our team about this and I’m going to send a ticket to our QA team to investigate for you. So we can get that ticket submitted, I wanted to clarify some details and collect diagnostics.

Could you please fill out this template and I’ll enable diagnostics for your account so we can submit the ticket? Thanks! The most important thing is telling us how the core is connected to the router.

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

@nuwriy - Thank you for your continued work with this issue. Here is the detailed configuration of my environment.

CORE (Roon Version 1.7 (Build 610 stable (64bit))
HP Desktop, Intel i3 540 @ 3.07 GHz, 2 core, Windows 10 Pro-64 and ExpressVPN in Peer mode (so only uTorrent goes through VPN).
Hard wired CAT-7 to TP-LINK TLSG100GBD Gigabit (8-port switch).
TP-LINK Switch is hard wired CAT-7 to HITRON CODA-4582 Modem/Router supplied by ISP. A speed test shows 274 Mbps (down) and 16 Mbps (up).
Libraries exist on USB-3.0 external 8TB Seagate (new in June 2020) sitting on the same desktop, but libraries are working fine anyway.
Even the core machine drops the Tidal connection, selecting “Retry” is necessary to reconnect (until next time).

Remote 1:
Samsung S9 (SM-960W) - 32 GB with 200 GB MicroSD Card, Android 10, Roon 1.7 (build 610)
Remote 2:
Dell XPS 13 (9350) - 16 GB, 1 TB, Windows 10 Pro (64 Bit), Roon 1.7 (build 610), operates in wifi mode for Roon
Remote 3:
Apple iPad Mini 4 - 128 GB, IOS 13.6.1, Roon 1.7 (build 610)
Remote 4:
Apple MacBook Air (early 2015), Intel i7, 8 GB, 256 GB MacOS 10.15.6, Roon 1.7 (build 610), operates in wifi mode for Roon
Remote 5:
Apple iPhone 8: 256 GB, IOS 13.6.1, Roon 1.7 (build 610)

Audio device is BlueSound Node 2i, hard wired Cat-7 directly to HITRON modem/router. The BlueSound is connected to Hegal H390 AMP via Audioquest Sydney RCA cables.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Regards,
Brian

Hello @Brian_McGregor, and thanks for the details! I enabled diagnostics the other day for your devices but it looks like the android and the PC haven’t connected to our servers in a few days. Could you please open Roon on these devices so the diagnostic comes in? Thanks!

@nuwriy - The Windows PC doesn’t have Roon running often due to the VERY frustrating FULL screen issue on high-resolution graphics. BUT I will leave it running for the next 48 hours. The Android is now running Roon as well, but it is my personal cell phone and travels with me. No sense keeping Roon running when I’m not at home.

Today I tried to log into Tidal/Roon on the PC. Roon wants me to log into Tidal, so I logout of Tidal, and re-enter the Tidal credentials. See screen shot #1. Then, it asks permission to redirect to Roon after successful Tidal login. When back at Roon, it still thinks Tidal is not logged in. See screen shot #2.

Hi @Brian_McGregor,

Thanks for doing that, and apologies for the delay due to the long weekend.

We received the diagnostics report from everything but the PC — Can you try sending us logs from that machine instead? Use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Thanks!

@dylan
I was not sure if you meant the PC running Roon server or the laptop. So, I have uploaded two sets of logs:

Thank you,
Brian

Hello @Brian_McGregor, and thanks for sharing those files with us! Our team took a look at this thread and wanted to know if you still see this issue with your VPN disabled? We’ve noticed what looks like some networking issues and would like to eliminate some variables so we can get things going for you.

When you have a chance, please disable the VPN temporarily, try to log into TIDAL via Roon again, and reply here with a timestamp when you do. Thanks!

I’m new to this site, not technical, and don’t know what I’m doing, but I have a Roon/Tidal problem I hope can be resolved. Roon works fine with all devices until I begin to play, at which time I get a notice “Tidal is loading slowly. This may indicate a networking or connectivity problem” The same message occurs on all playback devices. That being said, Tidal has been working perfectly through Roon on this same system for more than a year. My internet speed is fast (220 mbps), I have the latest version of Roon (1.7 610), and Tidal works fine by itself through my network. Any suggestions a layman can understand?

Hi Nick_Winslow,
Welcome to the Roon Community. Roon will want to treat each user’s problem separately. It allows them to track resolution and make sure your specific issues are addressed. To do this, post a new thread under Support with a new title. Be sure to give specifics of your system as described here.

@nuwriy Thanks for sticking with this. VPN is now disabled on Roon Server, and Tidal has been reconnected. I will post back if Tidal loses it’s connection.

Hello @Brian_McGregor, have things continued to work since disabling the VPN?

@nuwriy - YES! Without VPN, Tidal has stayed connected without getting dropped. I have reached out to ExpressVPN support for guidance and assistance. However, I got the standard answer that did not help.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.