Roon Tracks Skipping

I know this has been reported many times (including by me). But it’s happening again without any equipment change.

Play a track and Roon skips to any track it chooses.

I have a huge library.

I run on a mac mini.

Files on a Synology 2414+

All was well last time this was fixed and now unusable.

If support could pls let me know what to do to get you logs.

Thank you!

Hi @AD_Music,

If you try to copy a few files off the Synology and have the files saved on the Mac Mini local HDD, do they play as expected?

Does the behavior affect multiple zones or just one zone in particular? Does playing to your Mac’s System Output zone also have the same behavior?

Hi Noris,

The behavior effects every zone. Playing to my mac’s system output zone has the same behavior. When I transfer files to the Mac Mini local HD they skip as well.

Noris,

This is the longest I’ve waited for help for any paying subscription. I’ve been a Roon subscriber for many many years, and funny enough, I have not purchased a lifelong subscription either because 1) something goes wrong like this, or 2) I forgot the date and you don’t have a forgiveness period.

So forgetting 2, 1 has lost me money because of Roon customer service issues. If you were free and paid for only for premium features, like most of us, I would feel differently.

Can you please help with this? Thank you.

Hi @AD_Music,

Thanks for the additional information! We are a small support team, so thank you for your patience while your case makes its way through our support queue.

Regarding next steps here, can I please ask that you use these instructions to send me a copy of your Roon logs?

If you have any issues accessing them or don’t have a file transfer service, just let me know and I can clarify, thanks!

AD_Music

Any update on this, I am having the same issue except my Roon keeps skipping continually as soon as I select play on a track. I am in the same situation as you it appears from an order of operation and troubleshooting standpoint.

Joe

Noris,
I removed the uploaded zip of the logs because hopefully you’ve had it long enough to have downloaded it locally to you. If you still need it please provide a way of sending it to you privately.

Joseph,

That is the behavior I am seeing: I click on a track to play and it skips immediately until it finds one it can play. There has been no update from Roon.

Hi Noris,

Have you been able to look into this?

Hi @AD_Music,

Thanks again for sending those log files over, I can confirm I was able to download them properly.
Looking over your logs, I’m seeing quite a few networking issues present.

Can you please provide some details regarding the network setup? What is the model/manufacturer of all your networking gear? Is the Mac Mini on WiFi or Ethernet?

How are your DNS servers configured on the router, are you using Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS?

Setup:
Roon 1.2.161
Mac Mini, OS 10.12.6, 8GB RAM
Synology 2414 RP+
USB to wired network on both ends
~500,000 tracks
Outputting to Benchmark DAC
NETGEAR ProSAFE 24-Port Gigabit PoE Smart Managed Switch
Synology has WFS enabled, SMB3, per another post’s suggestion

Network configuration/topology:
The mac mini is cabled into the NETGEAR ProSAFE
The synology is likewise cabled into the NETGEAR ProSAFE
They sit a few feet apart.
The Benchmark DAC is wired directly to the mac, which is wired to the amplification, as neither of these need the network.
Roon core server sits on the Mini.
Roon app sits on another mac and ipad that connects wirelessly over a UniFi wireless network.
The connection of core server to app is made wirelessly through the network.
All UniFi endpoints are usb wired from the central controller.
There are no repeaters or extenders in the audio part of this system as they are not needed for audio here.
There is powerline conditioning, separate circuits, power outlets etc.

I am not sure how to answer your DNS question.

Noris,

I really could use some assistance here.

Hi @AD_Music,

We met with our senior technical team to discuss your report. Unfortunately, based on what we are seeing, it looks like this Core machine isn’t quite able to handle the massive library you have.

500,000 tracks is well over the typical size of a Roon library. In fact, more than 99% of the libraries used with Roon are smaller than the library you’re working with.

Roon works a bit differently than other music apps. Roon doesn’t just display a directory of folders — Roon creates database entries for your music and generates rich data (artists, composers, albums, etc.) that make Roon work. This enables Roon to have the rich metadata it has, and allows Roon to work as it does. Because of this, it can be a bit more demanding on resources compared to other apps, especially when the imported libraries get to these sizes.

When reviewing your logs we could see that Roon was using a lot of resources and your Core just wasn’t able to keep up. With this in mind, there are a couple options:

1. You could try using a smaller subset of your library. A smaller library would be more manageable for this Core machine and should work for you without issues.
  2. You could try using a different machine with newer specs and more resources — With more resources available Roon will be able to better manage the work it is doing without interrupting your playback.

Thanks for your patience while we’ve looked into this, Joseph. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

Thank you, Dylan. And I’m Andy, btw. :slight_smile:

Just a data point: This core has always handled this library fine. It hasn’t really grown over the years. It just suddenly started happening.

So if I purchase a System optique direct optical server & player combo - sonictransporter i9, optical rendu, which includes the sonicTransporter i9 from Small Green Computer, that should have enough power to handle this?

Happy to do so to get back to music.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.