Roon Trial Evaluation - Multiple Libraries and Focus Persist

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac Mini (Darwin Kernel Version 20.3.0 / macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 / Roon 1.8 build 756)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

S.M.S.L. SU-9 DAC, Raspberry Pi with HifiBerry DAC2 HD hat

Description Of Issue

Hi, my free trial has a few days left and I wish to confirm a couple of issues I have with my trial of Roon. Largely I am happy with my trial experience. It’s an excellent product.

My two main issues are the seeming inability to create and maintain separate libraries. Is this not supported or did I just not figure out how to do it? is there a workaround for this if it is not supported? Like using some other facility to simulate a second library? Right now I am experimenting with using Focus + Bookmarks to allow me to filter my library in different ways to present me with multiple views of the same library. Will this just have to do? Are there plans to support multiple libraries in the future?

My second issue is related, the use of Focus does not persist as I traverse a path through Roon. For example, if I click “Artists” then use Focus to filter on Storage Location to get only Artists on Tidal, that works well. But then clicking on an artist Roon takes me to that artist’s Roon page and my Focus filter is no longer applied - my locally stored albums by that artist are displayed along with the Tidal entries for that artist. If I go back to the “Artists” tab in My Library the Focus setting is still there. I like it that my Focus remained after going off and exploring but I want it to come along with me as I explore. Otherwise, using Focus + Bookmarks doesn’t work so well to simulate having multiple libraries.

All in all, excellent work! Thanks so much for any advice or assistance you can provide. I still have a lot to learn about Roon.

Hi @Ronald_Record

Currently there is not support for two separate libraries, but there are options for simulating this. Using Focus on storage locations + bookmarks is one option that should help with this. For more specific help, can you elaborate on what you’re trying to separate / how you’re trying to use Roon with separate libraries? Are these libraries in separate locations?

This is not currently an option, but I’d recommend opening a #roon:feature-requests Topic about this! Our product team watches feedback here closely, and it is a good way to get feedback from the rest of the community too.

Hi @dylan, thanks for the response. I have storage locations setup for several libraries I have curated over time - Apple Music, Amazon, ripped vinyl, and miscellaneous downloads. Mostly I am using Roon to access my Tidal library but occasionally I want to access my local music archives. Since I have these clearly separated by storage location I think I can do as you suggest - use Focus + Bookmarks to easily filter my Roon library on storage location.

I will open a feature request for Focus persistence. Thanks for your help.

1 Like